Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash hose question

1. Back To Top    #1

San Diego, CA

Backwash hose question

Will a 2" backwash hose fit over the backwash outlet for my FNS Plus Pentair 48 DE filter? The outlet is 2" inner diameter, but once the width of the piping itself is taken into account the total diameter is about 2.25".

This is the one I'm looking at: ... 997&sr=8-2

11,000 gallon chlorine pool:: 48 sq ft DE filter :: IG plaster :: 1 hp Whispaflo pump :: Gas heater and Solar Panel heating

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Backwash hose question

Normally you would have a fitting with a barbed end for the backwash hose to fit over and get clamped to, something like this one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

New Jersey

It can be tough to get those blue hoses onto just the barbed fitting. Add another 1/4" and it could be a real battle. But I found that dipping the end in some real hot water and stretching with two pieces of wood you can get a lot of stretch for a few seconds. For two bucks and some PVC cement, doing it as Jason suggests makes a lot of sense.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Central Massachusetts

I did away with the blue hose. I got a barbed fitting like Jason showed and coonected to a piece of flex pvc. I connected that to some black poly and buried it [about 20 feet] out to where I run the water to.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.