Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of decking do you like?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of decking do you like?

We still need to pick out the decking around our pool. I've looked at hundreds of photos online and I still can't decide.

Post photos of your decking, or decking that you like.

Here are a couple I found online:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of decking do you like?

Limit 3 per post
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

3. Back To Top    #3

More

4. Back To Top    #4

One more for a cool rock

5. Back To Top    #5

As much as I like the darker colors, I think your feet will thank you if you opt for a lighter finish (not as hot in summer sun). On the other hand, if everyone likes to wear their flip flops around the pool, then it's really not a concern
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with the above post pavers get really hot.

The advantages are: a) You can remove them to fix plumbing leaks and they go right back. b) They look outstanding. c) You can lay them yourself. d) If a tornado destroys your house and you choose to rebuild elsewhere you could take them with you.

The Disadvantages are: a) They are really hot in the Summer months. b) You may have to keep on hand herbicide and insecticide to combat ants and weeds. (I understand that if you use the right type of sand you would not have this problem)

I have already had a plumbing leak on my pool and it was so nice to be able to remove the pavers and fix it. If is was concrete you would have to saw it out and probably would never get the finish to match the existing finish.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

7. Back To Top    #7

Our pavers do not get that hot however we have lighter colors. Look at the links in the sig bar. We love our pavers.........
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

Not sure about the summer sun in Riverside, but in Tucson our pavers get hot enough to literally burn the bottoms of your feet.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Many of the patterned concrete choices are VERY slippery when wet, so if you choose that, make sure they add some sort of aggregate to improve traction in bare feet. They tend to be most attractive & also most expensive. Lighter colors don't get as hot as darker colors. Brick tends to be hotter on the feet. Exposed aggregate & hand seeded aggregates are great, look good long time, but I have sensitive feets, so I have to keep my sandals on. Flagstone is nice as well, price to match, and isn't as slippery. Lots of choices, good luck! One of my favorites is a "salt-finish" with a colored sealer on top. Great looking, less expensive and not as slippery as some.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.