Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter question

So I am finally getting around to finishing decontaminating our hot tub ( been sitting empty) and I am getting ready to order new filters. What are the advantages to to antimicrobial filters? Do they really do much? Want to get the best option since I am trying to start fresh! Thanks
    B
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter question

The theoretical advantage to antimicrobial filters is that the prevent biofilm formation. In practice, this seems to be more of a problem with some sand filters, especially in commercial/public pools. It seems to be far less of an issue in residential situations and with other filter types so long as you consistently maintain proper sanitizer levels. It's probably not worth the extra price (assuming they are more expensive).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Filter question

Thanks chem geek! My gut feeling was they were not worth the extra dough. I certainly don't want to worry about any extra issues either since I am still "getting my feet wet" in the care of my hot tub and pool. Regular filters it will be. Thanks again!
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,