New Pool Under Construction - Riverside CA

Hi again. I haven't posted any updates for a while. I hope to have several more items completed by this weekend. I'll take some more photos of the whole project then.

Here are two photos of the BBQ Island. I'll post a full construction thread in the Outdoor kitchen once it's done.

Quick couple questions. The Tiki Torches arrived today and I'm still working on how I want to secure them to the pool. The torches are something like 90" tall and the tube is about 2.5" diameter. I was going to strap them to the back side of the pool (the raised bond beam) with some kind of metal strap and concrete anchor. I think I might try to get the pole off the side of the wall using something like a pressure treated 4x4 (strap around the pole and the 4x4 and pull them tight against the wall). Has anyone done anything like that?

Attachments

• Tiki (Large).JPG
    Tiki (Large).JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0642 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0642 (Large).JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 381
  • Day1 (Large).JPG
    Day1 (Large).JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 380
I want to strap the pole for the Tiki Torch to the back side of the pool.

I plan to dill into the gunite/concrete and install some masonry anchors.

My current idea looks kinda like this:

Attachments

• Tiki2 (Large).JPG
    Tiki2 (Large).JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 365
How close to the water will the Tiki Torches be? I think that, according to the NEC, if they are within reach of someone in the pool (3-5'?), they must also be connected to the bonding grid. The point is that nobody gets shocked if the pole somehow develops an electrical potential. This might be a bit tricky. Did the PB include a bonding grid under the deck? If so, it might be reasonably easy to drill through the deck and find the bonding grid to wire it up. If it is outside the range of the ability of someone to touch it while in the water, you don't need to fuss with the bonding grid. Just something to consider with respect to placement.

Great looking back yard, BTW! What an incredible view and landscaping job you all have to enjoy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nightmare said:
Quick couple questions. The Tiki Torches arrived today and I'm still working on how I want to secure them to the pool. The torches are something like 90" tall and the tube is about 2.5" diameter. I was going to strap them to the back side of the pool (the raised bond beam) with some kind of metal strap and concrete anchor. I think I might try to get the pole off the side of the wall using something like a pressure treated 4x4 (strap around the pole and the 4x4 and pull them tight against the wall). Has anyone done anything like that?

Those torches look similar to mine. If they are, the base piece comes already plumbed with 1/4" pipe. For a clean install, I cut the 1/4" pipe out and slid the base over the gas supply riser, using the side gas supply access hole for a shut off valve lever. Then pipe wrapped and concreted the 18" Tiki base in the ground like a fence post. In your case, I'm not sure if you're able to concrete it in the ground.

The Tiki's just arrived last week. With the current setup I can only put 1 or 2 of them into concrete. The wall at the back side of the pool is a 4' drop and I want the Tikis about 5' above the coping on the back side of the pool.

This is one of those projects where I have already made 3 trips to the hardware store and I'll need at least 1 more.

It is nearly impossible to tell what color your pool water will look until you fill it up. My pool changes based on the amount of sunlight hitting it at any specific time. I'm sure that the coping and water line tile affects the final look too.

I looked at all the PebbleTec sample pools on their web site and tried to write down the ones I liked. My wife wanted the pool water to appear blue and not a tint of any green. Lots of the sample pools appeared green, which looks cool in a natural style/ Lagoon pool.

I asked my crew to mix up a batch of plaster with less black than normal. Then we added black 1 unit (not sure if it was oz, lb or what) at a time. My final color was 4 black (instead of 5).

Plaster Samples.

I think Photo 1 is the 'Zero' Black next to the sample tile.
I think Photo 2 is showing 1,2,3 and 4 black

Attachments

• Plaster Mix2 (Large).JPG
    Plaster Mix2 (Large).JPG
    222 KB · Views: 232
  • Plaster Mix1JPG (Large).JPG
    Plaster Mix1JPG (Large).JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 234
I'm still working on the firepit. I think I need one more piece to get everything to fit.

Here is the cap I created for $40 in material (Arizona Sandstone)

Attachments

• IMG_0662 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0662 (Large).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0680 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0680 (Large).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 212
Bainbrook brown, it was one of the least expensive ones they had at Arizona Tile. There were only about 4 colors in stock that were less money. We didn't want anything expensive and we didn't want anything that was too dark. That color just happens to be both, and it is a fairly good match to the coping.

Attachments

• IMG_0653 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0653 (Large).JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 207

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.