Plannin a pool in MI.

Newpool2011

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 20, 2011
Southwest, MI
Hello Everyone-
We have plans to put a pool where all this snow is! We are planning on a IG True L, approx 40k gallons. I have learned alot from this site already and plan on reading much more. I'd be interested to hear any pros or cons to a True L pool. Thanks for all of the information!

Attachments

• LotPic.JPG
    LotPic.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 173
Welcome to the forum :lol: A true L pool should present little issues and, I think< makes a very nice looking pool. The equipment you select will be fairly important and that's probably where the members on this forum can offer plenty of solid advice.

The plans are for a 18 x 28 x 43 IG vinyl pool. The estimates we have include a SWG, 250k BTU heater, 48 FNS DE filter, 1.5 hp pump, main drains, 2 skimmers and 4 returns. I believe that is everything we've discussed with the PB's so far. Does this equipment sound correct for this build?

Newpool2011 said:
The plans are for a 18 x 28 x 43 IG vinyl pool. The estimates we have include a SWG, 250k BTU heater, 48 FNS DE filter, 1.5 hp pump, main drains, 2 skimmers and 4 returns. I believe that is everything we've discussed with the PB's so far. Does this equipment sound correct for this build?
I can't comment on the technical aspects, but be sure the skimmers are at the extreme downwind end of the prevailing winds. Otherwise, stuff will get blown right past and float around the end.

Newpool2011 said:
We love our true-L pool. Our equipment set-up is very similar to yours with the exception that our heater is 400,000 BTUs on a smaller pool. I'm not an expert by any means, and it may be that ours is overkill, but I think I'd want to ask about that. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this site who can go on about BTUs and turnover rates and the like for hours on end. :lol: No offense meant to those people, it's just not my thing.
Also, we have the 4' radius corners on our pool and I like and would recommend them. What sort of wall system are you planning on?

Newpool2011 said:
heat pump, but at $5400 I'm leaning toward the gas heater.

:shock:
Wow thats expensive. In Michigan, if you have natural gas available, you will be much happier with a gas heater. A 400k heater is no more expensive to run than a 250k. It will use more gas, but it wont run as long so the net result is about the same gas use with a much shorter heat up time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We met with the PB last week and have eveything we want priced out. We did not sign the contract yet. Is there anything we should know before signing and putting down a $5000 deposit? We are very tight on the budget and cannot afford to go over by much. Is there anything I should try to get in writing or be aware of to insure the PB doesn't go over the agreed price?

Someone probably already said this, but the most important thing is to get references and check them.

Check the contract and make sure there is a reasonably large final payment that is not made until everything is completely done. It is almost never possible to make the final payment as large as one might hope, but you need at least several thousand dollars to be able to withhold something until it is really and truly done.

Another thing to get in the contract is that the builder give you release of lien documents from any sub-contractors for the work corresponding to the current payment within a fixed time (15 or 30 days) after each intermediate payment is made.

Finally, look carefully for anything that is listed as not included. Often there are extra charges for hitting too much stone during the dig or if the hole fills with water before the gunite is in place or liner placed, or for fill water at the end. This kind of thing varies quite a bit from place to place and occasionally from builder to builder. In many areas, there is really no avoiding all of this kind of risk. Just be sure you are aware of what might come up and which stage of construction it might apply to.

Thanks! The contract states to hold $2000 for final payment after the deck is poured. I have told the PB already it would need to be between 5-7K for a 45K pool. Does this sound sufficeint? I will have to check on any additional excavating costs or water being in the hole prior to the liner install. We have the pool water covered.