Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plannin a pool in MI.

1. Back To Top    #1

Plannin a pool in MI.

Hello Everyone-
    We have plans to put a pool where all this snow is! We are planning on a IG True L, approx 40k gallons. I have learned alot from this site already and plan on reading much more. I'd be interested to hear any pros or cons to a True L pool. Thanks for all of the information!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x43x28, 32K gal, True L Vinyl IG
    DE Filter, 1.5 HP Pump, Heat Pump, IC40 SWG, Pentair Easytouch, Dolphin Supreme M4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plannin a pool in MI.

Welcome to TFP. A fist full of knowledge before you start is the way to go. If you post what your considering for equipment, plumbing, etc., you will get some great advice. Photo's of the build are great.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum A true L pool should present little issues and, I think< makes a very nice looking pool. The equipment you select will be fairly important and that's probably where the members on this forum can offer plenty of solid advice.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The plans are for a 18 x 28 x 43 IG vinyl pool. The estimates we have include a SWG, 250k BTU heater, 48 FNS DE filter, 1.5 hp pump, main drains, 2 skimmers and 4 returns. I believe that is everything we've discussed with the PB's so far. Does this equipment sound correct for this build?
    DE Filter, 1.5 HP Pump, Heat Pump, IC40 SWG, Pentair Easytouch, Dolphin Supreme M4

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Newpool2011
    The plans are for a 18 x 28 x 43 IG vinyl pool. The estimates we have include a SWG, 250k BTU heater, 48 FNS DE filter, 1.5 hp pump, main drains, 2 skimmers and 4 returns. I believe that is everything we've discussed with the PB's so far. Does this equipment sound correct for this build?
    I can't comment on the technical aspects, but be sure the skimmers are at the extreme downwind end of the prevailing winds. Otherwise, stuff will get blown right past and float around the end.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

We love our true-L pool. Our equipment set-up is very similar to yours with the exception that our heater is 400,000 BTUs on a smaller pool. I'm not an expert by any means, and it may be that ours is overkill, but I think I'd want to ask about that. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this site who can go on about BTUs and turnover rates and the like for hours on end. No offense meant to those people, it's just not my thing.
    Also, we have the 4' radius corners on our pool and I like and would recommend them. What sort of wall system are you planning on?
    32.6K Gallon 16x41x24 L-Shape Vinyl Inground by Fort Wayne Pools
    DE Filter, 1HP Pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 Btu Propane Heater, Pentair IC40 SWG
    One Wife - Three Kids - Two Dogs

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by FinsUp
    our heater is 400,000 BTUs on a smaller pool. I'm not an expert by any means, and it may be that ours is overkill, but I think I'd want to ask about that.
    Get a bigger heater. 400,000 BTU. 250k for that pool is too small.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I will have to talk to them about the heater, thanks for the heads up. They had an option for a heat pump, but at $5400 I'm leaning toward the gas heater.

The walls are galvanized steel, 14 gauge.

9. Back To Top    #9

heat pump, but at $5400 I'm leaning toward the gas heater.

Wow thats expensive. In Michigan, if you have natural gas available, you will be much happier with a gas heater. A 400k heater is no more expensive to run than a 250k. It will use more gas, but it wont run as long so the net result is about the same gas use with a much shorter heat up time.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

The walls are galvanized steel, 14 gauge.
    Does anyone on here have concerns using SWG with galvanized steel walls?
    We have a structural polymer wall system and so I've never given it any thought myself.
    32.6K Gallon 16x41x24 L-Shape Vinyl Inground by Fort Wayne Pools
    DE Filter, 1HP Pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 Btu Propane Heater, Pentair IC40 SWG
    One Wife - Three Kids - Two Dogs

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by FinsUp

Does anyone on here have concerns using SWG with galvanized steel walls?
    For me, not really.

12. Back To Top    #12

We met with the PB last week and have eveything we want priced out. We did not sign the contract yet. Is there anything we should know before signing and putting down a $5000 deposit? We are very tight on the budget and cannot afford to go over by much. Is there anything I should try to get in writing or be aware of to insure the PB doesn't go over the agreed price?

13. Back To Top    #13

Someone probably already said this, but the most important thing is to get references and check them.

Check the contract and make sure there is a reasonably large final payment that is not made until everything is completely done. It is almost never possible to make the final payment as large as one might hope, but you need at least several thousand dollars to be able to withhold something until it is really and truly done.

Another thing to get in the contract is that the builder give you release of lien documents from any sub-contractors for the work corresponding to the current payment within a fixed time (15 or 30 days) after each intermediate payment is made.

Finally, look carefully for anything that is listed as not included. Often there are extra charges for hitting too much stone during the dig or if the hole fills with water before the gunite is in place or liner placed, or for fill water at the end. This kind of thing varies quite a bit from place to place and occasionally from builder to builder. In many areas, there is really no avoiding all of this kind of risk. Just be sure you are aware of what might come up and which stage of construction it might apply to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks! The contract states to hold $2000 for final payment after the deck is poured. I have told the PB already it would need to be between 5-7K for a 45K pool. Does this sound sufficeint? I will have to check on any additional excavating costs or water being in the hole prior to the liner install. We have the pool water covered.

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome to TFP!