Control your Jandy equipment from your PC with a $15 adapter

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
For anyone wondering, I got a $15 USB to RS-485 adapter. I was able to control the Aqualink RS system using the free One Touch emulator from Jandy's site. This is comparable to the AquaLink RS PC-Computer Interface/Docking Station, except it's $15 on EBAY instead of $200 from Jandy. The software is doing all the legwork. The data that I read off the the serial port with a serial port sniffer was not the simple ascii commands that I had hoped for as documented in the manual for the $400 AquaLink RS Serial Adapter. With the more expensice adapter, the adapter is doing the translation. The simple ascii commands are translated by the serial adapter into a confusing mix of ascii and hex, so that your software doesnt have to. If money was no object, that would be the converter to get and you can write a simple program that sends and receives the simple commands. However, I like the $15 price tag much better, so if I can figure out the protocol, it should open doors for web based programs, phone apps, and all the home automation stuff that we can imagine. If anyone wants to peak at a dump of the data, send me a PM and I'll happily email it.

Re: Jandy serial control

Surprised I didn't get any comments on this. I'll reiterate. For $15 I was able to connect my computer to my Jandy equipment with full control and feedback, temperature, status, etc... The free program looks just like my wall mounted control panel.

Re: Control your Jandy equipment from your PC with a $15 ada

PoolGuyNJ said:
Well, now they are about $30 and we need away to make it wireless to an Android or i-OS device.

Scott

What did you find for $30? I'm working on the protocol. If I can figure it out, it shouldnt be too hard to write an app that would connect your computer to send serial commands. I'm not sure if I want to reverse engineer the protocol or try to hack the emulator. If there are any hardware/software engineers out there, I could really use some help.

Ok, I've got the adapter and the emulator and everything almost works. Could you provide details of the wiring you used (Jandy <-> Vdd, GND, A, B), which COM port and the steps necessary.

At this point, several of the apps declare that they are communicating on COM7, but nothing shows up. The PC Docking Station appears to be able to read the versions of everything, but I can't issue a command anywhere. The Serial Adapter application declares itself offline.

I did find out the hard way ( :oops: ) not to connect Jandy Red to Vdd. This caused my computer to shutdown immediately upon connection.

Also, I assume that the Tx & RX jumpers need to be in the RS-485 position (shipped in the RS-232 position).

Help! I think I am almost there. And thanks for the tips ... I have been waiting to hook this up since I first saw your post in January.

My adapter only does rs-485 so I do not have a jumper. But since Jandy uses RS-485 I think you are right. I am only using one wire from terminal 3 (SD-) on the One Touch to T-/A on my adapter. With this one wire I can send and receive. Kinda odd. I expected to need three wires. Are there any software or hardware guys out there that can help out with this? I need to figure out this protocol and don't know where to begin.

edit: This is not correct, see my next post.

I know this is not helpful, but the protocol with the automation interface is super easy. I have this running in homeseer:

homeseer.JPG

Can you describe the order in which you start up the Jandy software? I think the documented way is to start Power Center, configure the comm port and then start up the appropriate device application.

Is that what you use?
Does Power Center mirror the current state of your real Power Center?

The serial automation cost $400 though. It is essentially just a protocol bridge. It converts the super easy documented protocol into a complex proprietary protocol that the Jandy understands. If all else fails, I will break down and buy it. But then I will still have my work cut out for me figuring out how to develop a standalone webserver for it. I'm thinking of using a wiznet ethernet module with a 485 driver. Something like this: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9476
It can connect that to my network and I will forward the ports. That should give me web access from anywhere, including my cell phone.

I tested this setup again with one wire. Allthough I can still read the data on a 232 analyzer, the onetouch.exe program fails to connect. In order to get a connection, I must also connecta second wire from the One Touch terminal 2 (SD+) to T+/B on my adapter. I have tried all possible connections and this is the only one that will yield a connection to onetouch.exe.

jkalan said:
Can you describe the order in which you start up the Jandy software? I think the documented way is to start Power Center, configure the comm port and then start up the appropriate device application.

Is that what you use?
Does Power Center mirror the current state of your real Power Center?

I have the power center and one touch running. Fully operational. As soon as I connect the two wires to the 485 adapter the data automatically starts to flow. I then open up onetouch.exe and it connects. What control panel do you have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Any progress made on this? I am looking to make an Android app that can controll the Jandy Aqualink system. Mainly to turn on the spa remotley. I wanted to avoid the $400+ rs-232 device that jandy sells. Had one that worked great and then broke after. 1 year warranty was up. Refuse to buy another one.

Havn't had time to work on it. The rs-485 adapter is only $15 though. Pick one up and you'll be able to control it from a computer. If you can remote into the computer with your android, you'll be able to do anything. Plus then you can take a look at the protocol and help break it down.

I don't want to hijack this thread but since it's related I'll toss out a post, I have an Intellitouch and it also uses RS-485 adn they have a similar $400+ RS-485 -> IP kit OEMed from HomeLogic that allows control of the Intellitouch via ScreenLogic from an iphone, PC, tablet, etc. I was thinking about jumping on an RS-485 to IP adapter but didn't want to shell out the funds unless I had at least an inkling it may work. Does anyone have any insights?

If Jandy had an RS-485 to IP converter and a mobile app, I would spend the $400 and be done with it. However, Jandy does not have a complete solution like that so I am forced to try and figure it out myself. That being said, If you have some experience with hardware you could probably get it working for under $50 but you would have a lot of time invested.

What's the latest on this...?

I have a OneTouch Wireless with a bad screen...I'd love to use this instead of shelling out 900.00 for a new controller.

Can someone point me in the right direction for the usb/485 adapter?

Thanks,

Squid

I have not tried to use the adapter without a control panel. I'll give that a try when I get home. Hopefully it will work with or without one. This is the adapter I have: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8&bih=851#

I came across some guys that have fully decoded the protocol. I'm trying to get them to open up their work to me. If I can get that, I'm going to start programming the device that will connect it to a home network, webpage, etc... My plans are to keep everything open source. It may be some time because this is a learning project for me but I'm confident that I can get it done.

n8huntsman said:
I have not tried to use the adapter without a control panel.

Are you refering to a wired control panel or the power center?????

I have the power center outside with a wireless controller...am I missing something?

I have a One-Touch wired inside my house. I tapped into the RS-485 bus from that wired control panel. I don't think there is any magic being done in the wired (or in your case, wireless) control panel. But I need to verify that. I will disconnect my wired panel and communicate directly with the aqualink power center (the outside unit)

n8huntsman said:
I will disconnect my wired panel and communicate directly with the aqualink power center (the outside unit)

One would think there would be a RS-485 port on the Power Center...or it would have the connections for both wired and wireless controllers....but that may be to logical of a thought process.

Look forward to hearing what you discover.

Squid

The wires that come off the main Aqualink panel are for RS-485. They run from there to the wired controller. It doesn't matter which end you connect your adapter to. I chose the in house control panel due to it's proximity to my desktop. If you only have a remote, it will probably be the same wires your transceiver is connected to, JP1 on the aqualink. I found a couple forum members, kajtek and draythomp who have already done most of the work for me. Kajtek has decoded the Jandy protocol and draythomp has done the same for the Goldline. They have been nice enough to provide there source code written in C. Fortunately, the Arduino is native to C so I'm hopeful that it wont be too tough for me to adapt it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.