Onga (Pentair) Silentflo or Jandy ePump?

pool250

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2011
Australia
Here in Australia there is very little choice other than single speed pumps.

ie:
Astral Viron P300 3 speed pump about $700 (slowest speed isnt very slow: 1420rpm) http://www.hurlcon.com.au/sites/default ... %20WEB.pdf
@1420rpm 1.5amps 200 litres p/m @3.6metres head (I presume that there would be a fairly sharp drop off in lpm with increased head hence [email protected]).
@2800rpm 6.7amps 302 litres p/m @8metres head

Pentair Intelliflo $ 2000

Zodiac have just announced the introduction of the Zodiac FloPro ePump in Australia.
The rrp will be around $1600 including the basic controller. (although may be less in the hands of the retailers).
Due to the power supply differences, it will have a top rpm of 2830 and minimum of 600 and I guess it will be the 1.5hp
http://www.jandy.com/ePumpPdf/SL5171.pdf

Onga (Pentair) Silentflo SF750 1hp $460 (http://www.onga.com.au/objectlibrary/62 ... omance.pdf)
@2800rpm 3amps 250 litres p/m @8 metres head

Comparing the Viron with the Onga, the Viron at 1420 rpm and depending on the head (say 5/6m for both pumps) it would move about half the water using half the power consumption of the Onga, therefore the running cost would be the same to move the same amount of water. HOWEVER at 2800rpm the Viron would use more than double the power usage of the Onga, when using the vacuum etc PLUS it's $250 more to buy.

I dont think Zodiac have announced that yet: nothing on their site or in the leaflet I read.
I imagine they will be offering the 1.5 rather than just the 2 which I would think would be too big for my pool (although with 8 settings I dont suppose
it matters that much providing they can be set as low as each other).

I would be very interested in the Blue Eco and will check out importing one next time one of the family pools needs a replacement, especially due to the DC (vs AC) design as all my new electric systems use DC compressors, blowers and controllers.

1orime.gif

I cant find a website for them or any spec for the pumps, which is a bit worrying.
If the pump goes wrong it could take a very long time and a lot of money to send it to the Netherlands and back. Plus you guys are on a different system to Holland which I think is 230v 50Hz.

PS: the Viron P300 uses a DC motor and is available in the US

Have been advised that as my power supply is erratic, any pump with electronics isnt going to last very long with voltage
surges and frequent sudden outages. Looks like it will need to be the Onga. Wondering now how long a chlorinator controller will last....

pool250 said:
Comparing the Viron with the Onga, the Viron at 1420 rpm and depending on the head (say 5/6m for both pumps) it would move about half the water using half the power consumption of the Onga, therefore the running cost would be the same to move the same amount of water. HOWEVER at 2800rpm the Viron would use more than double the power usage of the Onga, when using the vacuum etc PLUS it's $250 more to buy.

This is interesting - so your conclusions are that the Onga will be more efficent ie use less electricity than the Viron - since at 1420 rpm it will cost the same amount to move the same amount of water, but at 2800rpm - the Viron will cost more to move the same amount of water that the Onga. Are you certain of this? If so - the choice is easy - why would anyone buy an Viron?

Kind regards,
Mil

HOLY POOP!

They VFD pump you poor souls get from pentair is based off the dynsglass pump design.

First your toilet spin backwards now this.

I feel bad for you guys down there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
racket said:
HOLY POOP!

They VFD pump you poor souls get from pentair is based off the dynsglass pump design.

First your toilet spin backwards now this.

I feel bad for you guys down there.

compared to all the of the other single speed pumps I have looked at down here, the SF750 is quieter and more efficient than any of the others by far.
3amps draw for a 1hp pump is very low....unless I am missing something??

Edit the single speed is from Pentair, the 3 speed from Hurlcon; I think you mean the Hurlcon?

PS: my flush is syphonic and goes straight down, not round and round so please don't feel too bad, plus we also have Christmas in mid summer! :-D

mil said:
pool250 said:

This is interesting - so your conclusions are that the Onga will be more efficent ie use less electricity than the Viron - since at 1420 rpm it will cost the same amount to move the same amount of water, but at 2800rpm - the Viron will cost more to move the same amount of water that the Onga. Are you certain of this? If so - the choice is easy - why would anyone buy an Viron?

Kind regards,
Mil

yes, I'm sure. Whilst they dont actually publish the figures (which is probably why people buy it), they gave them to me on the phone. Its also louder at 2800rpm than the single speed.

pool250 said:

ie:
Astral Viron P300 3 speed pump about $700 (slowest speed isnt very slow: 1420rpm) http://www.hurlcon.com.au/sites/default ... %20WEB.pdf
@1420rpm 1.5amps 200 litres p/m @3.6metres head (I presume that there would be a fairly sharp drop off in lpm with increased head hence [email protected]).

Zodiac have just announced the introduction of the Zodiac FloPro ePump in Australia.
The rrp will be around $1600 including the basic controller. (although may be less in the hands of the retailers).
Due to the power supply differences, it will have a top rpm of 2830 and minimum of 600 and I guess it will be the 1.5hp

Onga (Pentair) Silentflo SF750 1hp $460 (http://www.onga.com.au/objectlibrary/62 ... omance.pdf)

Cheap! The Viron sells in NZ about $1600 + GST ($1347 USD), the Intelliflo VS has a retail price of between $3500 - $4,000 NZD depending on the supplier.

You should start to see similar pumps to the Viron over the next year, Speck have a pump which is the same motor with a different wet end.

Jimmy_from_NZ said:
pool250 said:

ie:

Cheap! The Viron sells in NZ about $1600 + GST ($1347 USD), the Intelliflo VS has a retail price of between $3500 - $4,000 NZD depending on the supplier.

You should start to see similar pumps to the Viron over the next year, Speck have a pump which is the same motor with a different wet end.

Yer, I know. Whenever I feel like weeping at how much more we pay for things here than in the US, I always console myself in the knowledge that it could be worse; I could be paying NZ prices :?

pool250 said:
Yer, I know. Whenever I feel like weeping at how much more we pay for things here than in the US, I always console myself in the knowledge that it could be worse; I could be paying NZ prices :?

You could almost pay me to fly with ab intelliflo in my luggage, and break even.

racket said:
pool250 said:
Edit the single speed is from Pentair, the 3 speed from Hurlcon; I think you mean the Hurlcon?

The onga looks like this.

Which is the dynaglass/dynapro

With e different motor.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... ps-204.htm

None of the dynapro's draw anything near as low as 3amps and as you say it must have a different motor, therefore
A) can a comparison really be made between the SF750 and the Dynapro and if so why?
B)If a comparison can be legitimately made, why you no like the dyanpro?

pool250 said:
racket said:
pool250 said:

The onga looks like this.

Which is the dynaglass/dynapro

With e different motor.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... ps-204.htm

None of the dynapro's draw anything near as low as 3amps and as you say it must have a different motor, therefore
A) can a comparison really be made between the SF750 and the Dynapro and if so why?
B)If a comparison can be legitimately made, why you no like the dyanpro?

The way is seals, the noise it creates, as well as the diffusers tend to erode easily.

racket said:
The way is seals, the noise it creates, as well as the diffusers tend to erode easily.

Seal between motor and body? this might be different with a different motor?
I dont think the motor on the SF is noisy according to the spec.
Diffuser? dont know what they are, is that a motor part which might be different.

I havent bought the pump yet and Onga was until recently an Australian company, who have a good rep for reliable pumps.
From what I can see so far, your beef seems to be with the Sta Rite motor not the pump body.
As the Onga motor is obviously totally different, I am not sure that these two pumps are sufficiently similar for you to condemn the Silentflo on the basis
of your dislike of the Dynapro.

pool250 said:
your beef seems to be with the Sta Rite motor not the pump body.
As the Onga motor is obviously totally different, I am not sure that these two pumps are sufficiently similar for you to condemn the Silentflo on the basis
of your dislike of the Dynapro.

No my beef is with the sealing mechanism and the distances between the shaft seal plate and bearings. The noise of a pump is cause by both speed, and hydraulics. A whisperflo pump is quieter much quieter than the Dyna* line using the same motor. It has to do w/ the impeller design, and diffuser design.

That being said the onga will propably serve you fine. It just would have been better based on the whisperflo' body.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.