Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brisbane Floods

1. Back To Top    #1

Brisbane Floods

I suppose everyone heard about the devastating Brisbane Floods http://tinyurl.com/4dxfkk8. Fortunately where we live was not flooded, but many homes (let alone pools) in low lying areas were inundated with muddy water and will take a lot of work to recover.

However, while we were free of inundation the exceptionally intense La Nina weather pattern has caused very heavy rainfall over most of Eastern Australia this summer and the pool chemistry has suffered. I finally got back to is yesterday and found, among other things FC = 0, CYA = 0.

I added required chemicals and today's test comes up with:

FC = 5+
    TC = 5+
    pH = 7.4
    TA = 50
    CH = 90
    CYA = 30
    Temp = 26C (OK, well it is summer here)

My overall balance calculation comes up with 10.4 against a target of 11.0 - 11.2
    I'd appreciate advice on how best to improve the balance.

Cheers
    48,000 litre outdoor in-ground pebble/plaster pool; EAQUIP self-cleaning saltwater chlorinator and controller; Waterco S-800 Sand Filter (420 litres per minute capacity); Aquanaut Pool-Vac cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brisbane Floods

Have you found the link to the pool calculator? If not, here it is:

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Hope that helps!
    Gordon
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

>> Temp = 26C

all your numbers are very similar to mine except we only get up to 21C today and morning was 10C

>> overall balance calculation comes up with 10.4 against a target of 11.0 - 11.2

what's this balance calc ?

4. Back To Top    #4

You're light on alk and calcium. The alk will bring you up and the calcium and the calcium will help make the water less aggressive towards pulling calcium from the cement in the pebble finish.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by susa
    >> Temp = 26C

all your numbers are very similar to mine except we only get up to 21C today and morning was 10C

>> overall balance calculation comes up with 10.4 against a target of 11.0 - 11.2

what's this balance calc ?

The balance Calc is a formula that came with my Palintest test kit. This seemed like the most suitable one available in Australia and gives me the info I need. It comes up with a balance value derived from CH, TA and pH.
    48,000 litre outdoor in-ground pebble/plaster pool; EAQUIP self-cleaning saltwater chlorinator and controller; Waterco S-800 Sand Filter (420 litres per minute capacity); Aquanaut Pool-Vac cleaner.