Polaris 380 not picking up

May 3, 2010
We have a polaris 380 for our inground pool, 28k gallon.

The cleaner is about 4.5 years old and recently has not been picking stuff up from the pool bottom. I have counted the rpm's as suggested and they are low, but I cannot figure out how to change them so the rpms increase. I have pulled out the inline filter (the one on the hose) and it wasn't really clogged, though there was some stuff in there, I cleaned it out pretty good. It is rather rusty, don't know if that would have any effect on the rpms on the cleaner.

I also looked at the disconnect because I had read you could remove some sort of a blue washer-type thing that might increase the rpms. I couldn't look directly into where the disconnect goes because it is in the pool, underwater (obviously) and it is about 28 degrees here. I couldn't feel anything in the disconnect hole, I ran my finger around the inside but it didn't feel like there was anything I could pull out.

How long should our pool cleaner last? Is it worth having it repaired?

I also read that the polaris 280 is easier to maintain and fix; will it fit on the same connections that we have for the polaris 380?

I have had several bad experiences with pool companies and don't really trust them when they quote prices; it seems I can look online and find the parts needing replacement for at least 50% less then they want to charge. I do understand that they need to make money, but the last estimate was for a display board for my heater which I found new, online, for $175 and they quoted me $450.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can give.

I have a 380 and had a similar problem.

I found out that the jet that drives the unit was clogged. I had taken it in to be repaired three times and it was never fixed until I got some advice from this board and checked it myself.

This was my problem:

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_cleaners_polaris_380_parts_diagram.htm

Look at this diagram. The unit is propelled by a jet that hits a turbine assembly. This is labeled 15, 18, and 19 in this diagram.

I do not see the jet on the diagram. If you take the unit apart it will be easy to see but you have to take the top of the turbine housing. Take apart and reassembly is easy.

I blasted out the jet with a garden hose connected to a jet nozzle that I taped to a plastic soda straw. That allowed me to blast out the jet in reverse. Another board member described using a paper clip but I tried that and it just pushed the debris back and it re-clogged the jet later.

I do not know if this is your problem.

Hope this helps.

There are maybe 4 different little hoses inside the unit; I've had one pop off or split probably 3 times in 2 years, with predictable loss of oomph. My local shop has a free-labor policy if you bring it in, so it has always been cheap to get it fixed.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.