Coping Question (pics included)

mx702

Aug 2, 2010
MA
Had an IG vinyl pool installed in the fall and decided to wait until spring to lay decking. We are considering going the paver route with a cantilever edge. Met with a local landscape construction foreman and his method of coping installation is to use a construction adhesive to secure the paver to the top of the pool walls. I was wondering if this a common practice or if anyone has actually seen or heard of this method. Unfortunately, I do not have any close up pics of the top surface of my pool walls, but I hope these will give you a general idea. Thanks.
img3557x.jpg

img3565x.jpg

Construction adhesive is common enough. The only issue, relatively minor, is that it has to be possible for the liner to be removed from the track (that metal edging) and replaced. You really don't want any adhesive getting onto the joint where the liner meets the track. A little care is required, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Some kinds of track have another edge sticking up on top that catches the edge of the deck material and protects the rest of the track. This is most commonly used with poured concrete decks. Yours doesn't have that edge, which gives you more control over the final appearance, but does require that slight bit of additional care when installing the coping.

Can you tell us more about the proposed deck?

If you're in Bk's area you'll be wanting to close the pool over the winter months and will, at least, consider a 'safety cover' - pavers can make a safety cover 'problematic' :wink:

I'm trying to keep you from having any regrets about your pool/ deck :)

[call me a 'naysayer' but, from your pics, I'm wondering if your liner is wrinkled :? ]

waste said:
Can you tell us more about the proposed deck?

- pavers can make a safety cover 'problematic' :wink:

Baloney sauce :lol:
I have pavers just like mx702 is considering. I have 3 feet of snow on it right now and no issues. If installed properly, it's not an issue, as im sure you are aware.
As far as the wrinkles go, you will notice that a shop vac is present and the pict was taken when the pool was being filled. I'm sure the wrinkles are minimal. As I'm sure your aware again, vinyl covered steps will havea few wrinkles perhaps. Not much way around it.

Dont scare the poor guy, Ted. His pool is fine. :mrgreen:

Just to be clear. BK, you are saying that the adhesive seeping into the liner/track joint is a complete non-issue or that care still must be taken but its a minor issue?

Also, my better half is not too fond of the the bullnosed edged pavers she's seen. She feels it presents too much of a border around the pool which is a look she would like to avoid. We prefer the larger pavers(slabs) for our decking, anyway and I am wondering if its possible to just cantilever those same pavers as coping. all the responses and info is much appreciated

Yea, the adhesive thing is a non issue. The guy you told me you had out will do a good job. The other 2 names i gave you would too. Again, non issue.

As far as the bullnose pavers, its up to you. Most people use the bullnose. If you use squared off pavers, it can be a little hard on the old skin if you scrape it since it leaves a sharp edge. If you want a more irregular look, stone of some kind is generally used. Ask the landscaper, he'll have quite a few idea I'm sure.

It's not the stairs I was worried about - it's ~ impossible to have the sides 'wrinkle free' (I can go into a long diatribe about that :evil: )

I'll stick with my opinion about pavers and safety covers :cool: (I'll happily tell you why, if you ask :-D )

Some further discussion about safety covers and pavers has been moved here. Jason

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.