Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine and Non-chlorine shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine and Non-chlorine shock

Hello,
    I have a Hot Springs spa and am refilling it today. We have an ozonator and also silver ion, but above that I do use chlorine (Sodium Dichlor) and 'Spa Oxidizing Shock' (non-chlorine, contains potassium monopersulfate). We've always been told to add the chlorine and the potassium mono. at start-up, but I'm wondering if they should be added together? Or should there be a period of time between the adding of the two?
    And subsequently, when we test, would we add chlorine (if needed) and potassium mono. together?
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine and Non-chlorine shock

It's completely up to you how much you add of each and there is no problem having both in the water at the same time. With the silver ions in the water, even the non-chlorine shock (MPS) is acting like a sanitizer so basically both the MPS and the chlorine are sanitizers as well as oxidizers. Roughly speaking, it takes twice as much volume of MPS (if it's 43% MPS product) as Dichlor for equivalent oxidation (Nature2 says it's 3 times, but they've got the density wrong).

As for disinfection, the trick will be either to have some measurable FC from the chlorine OR have a higher CC level from the MPS (or a separate MPS measurement if you can do that via the MPS interference remover for the FAS-DPD test or a separate MPS-specific test strip). The disinfection level of MPS recommended by Nature2 (which has silver ions) is equivalent to about 4 ppm FC though will measure as 4 ppm CC except for immediately after adding it (it can bleed through somewhat to FC right after adding it due to some contaminants).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine and Non-chlorine shock

Cool! Thanks again Chem Geek. BTW, I measured my pH before draining my hot tub (due to my wife breaking out) and it was 8.2 plus. I really blew it this time, going to watch it much better now. Thanks again for your help!
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/