StaRite Max-E-Therm NG heater code

Sounds like flame sensor which is part of the hsi.. You need to check was losses power when it shut of..Also check your thermo regulator that can cause same issue..

Took it all apart again this afternoon. Cleaned everything good and hit the switch. Heater fired 4 times consecutively and held all 4 times. Put it back together, went and got some dinner and then thought I'd have a nice soak. *#@! thing wouldn't fire and stay lit to save my soul :evil: :evil: What the H-E-double hockey sticks?!

Man this thing is starting to get on my nerves! I see no problems when I have it apart, but the minute I button it back up, let it sit for a couple of hours and then go to use it it lets me down. I guess I'll start again tomorrow trying to fix it once and for all. GRRRRRRR!!!

There will never be a piece of Hayward equipment (or flex pipe) in or near my pool :rant: :evil:

If you don't quit suggesting that I put that $%#@ on my pool, I'll send a band of subterranean termites with razor blades to attack your plumbing and liner :whip:

BK,

Maybe if he takes it apart... AGAIN and cleans it, AGAIN... he can use it as an outdoor table. (I wonder if he has car problems if he keeps changing the oil???) Maybe you can make him a good deal on a Hayward???

Could you remember on that time you got no fire, if you smelled gas out the exhaust just for a second? You gotta smell gas! Just hearing the valve click isn't enough, as you may have a gas delivery problem, if you don't smell it. IF YOU DID, that tells you that the gas valve opened, but there was nothing to ignite it! The times that it did light, the HSI was able to make enough connection to glow, then once it heated up a couple of times, the crack opened up and no longer was shorting (glowing). It is probably the HSI. Take it out, and if it has a white water-stained looking mark, theres your crack (you cant always see the crack). you can double check by turning off main gas to heater and try to fire with HSI out (careful in case it begins glow). If it does glow, shut down the heater and repeat two, or three, or how ever many times it took last time before it wouldn't fire.

The flame rectifier is part of the HSI so to replace one, you're replacing both.

I do always smell gas, so I think I am in good shape there. I am on Nat Gas, and I have a properly sized line and a 1,000,000 btu meter, so that is all good. It is just so intermittent (and never seems to be a problem in the daytime when I am working on it. I have not pulled the HSI since I didn't think I could see if it glowed or not in sunlight, and since it tends to fire I keep thinking it was just a connection) and frustrating.

I will pull the HSI today. I've been procrastinating on that, even though I've been told to do it, so it will get done. Thanks for all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.