Spinning Umbrella in the wind....

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
We are prepping to build our pool, and getting advice from a friend. We are putting in some umbrella sleeves around the pool and in the baja steps.

Per our friend, when the wind comes up, her umbrella's get spinning and it bugs her a lot. I would agree, but how do you stop it from spinning? She apparently tried to put a rubber washer on it to try to create more friction, but without much success.

Anyone have a "fix" for this? Something we can do as part of our pool build? Anchors that a little loop near the umbrella sleeve could tie to? Not sure....

thx,

RK

Try wrapping one layer of rubber plumber's tape around the bottom of the umbrella and see if that gives it enough grip to hold tight. Umbrella's that spin are eventually going to fly!

We ended up putting a sleeve in our sleeves if you know what I mean... :lol: This slowed the spinning quite a bit using the size umbrellas we have. Heres a few pics to help illustrate

With out sleeve
patio039-1.jpg

With sleeve
grandmaspics2010003.jpg

Sleeve and umbrella
grandmaspics2010004.jpg

Woops I forgot to add that info. It is 1 1/4" schedule40 PVC. I found it in the electrical conduit part of Lowes. It was like 3 bucks for a 10' stick.
There are different size umbrella poles but I dont know if there are different size sleeves.
Also in hindsight I wish I would have had a lot more sleeves installed. We have one on the baja step and one on the luv seat in the deep end. If I could do it all all over again I would have them placed throughout the decking as well.

Shane1 said:
Woops I forgot to add that info. It is 1 1/4" schedule40 PVC. I found it in the electrical conduit part of Lowes. It was like 3 bucks for a 10' stick.
There are different size umbrella poles but I dont know if there are different size sleeves.
Also in hindsight I wish I would have had a lot more sleeves installed. We have one on the baja step and one on the luv seat in the deep end. If I could do it all all over again I would have them placed throughout the decking as well.

Got it. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind during our "final" (?) stage of pool design. Having difficulties thinking about where the sun will shine vs. umbrella sleeve placement...but working on it. Definitely putting some on our baja's and a few in our deck.

hope I am not to late, but i was thinking maybe a sleve for a ladder would work for you... you can tighten them up and then put the cover over it... just a thought... we have had so many take off... but you would have to put the sleve in before you pour your deck...

Found this from Home Depot, bath repair area.

“Sink repair – Danco – Lavatory Pop-up Drain Gasket - # 80346”

Works PERFECT for my umbrella’s, and should be fine even for the sleeves in the water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.