Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spinning Umbrella in the wind....

1. Back To Top    #1

Spinning Umbrella in the wind....

We are prepping to build our pool, and getting advice from a friend. We are putting in some umbrella sleeves around the pool and in the baja steps.

Per our friend, when the wind comes up, her umbrella's get spinning and it bugs her a lot. I would agree, but how do you stop it from spinning? She apparently tried to put a rubber washer on it to try to create more friction, but without much success.

Anyone have a "fix" for this? Something we can do as part of our pool build? Anchors that a little loop near the umbrella sleeve could tie to? Not sure....

thx,

RK
    RawhideKid
    Phoenix, AZ (Goodyear actually)
    Pool finally complete!!! IG, 40,635 gallons w/2080 gallon spa with 16 jets. Pool is 40x21 ft with 10 ft deep end; two baja steps
    Pentair Cartridge filter - 520 SQ. PebbleSheen interior. 2 Pentair VS pumps. Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    4 deck jets, 2 bubblers, fake rock grotto/waterfall with wet steps. 3 surrounding half-pergola's with misters in future
    Sunken covered ramada with cabinets, fridge, and wood fireplace. (soon to have big screen TV)
    Basically, 14 years of planning on how to survive this blistering AZ summer!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spinning Umbrella in the wind....

Try wrapping one layer of rubber plumber's tape around the bottom of the umbrella and see if that gives it enough grip to hold tight. Umbrella's that spin are eventually going to fly!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We ended up putting a sleeve in our sleeves if you know what I mean... This slowed the spinning quite a bit using the size umbrellas we have. Heres a few pics to help illustrate

With out sleeve

With sleeve

Sleeve and umbrella
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool. What did you use for the sleeve? Piece of PVC pipe?
    RawhideKid
    Pool finally complete!!! IG, 40,635 gallons w/2080 gallon spa with 16 jets. Pool is 40x21 ft with 10 ft deep end; two baja steps
    Pentair Cartridge filter - 520 SQ. PebbleSheen interior. 2 Pentair VS pumps. Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    4 deck jets, 2 bubblers, fake rock grotto/waterfall with wet steps. 3 surrounding half-pergola's with misters in future
    Sunken covered ramada with cabinets, fridge, and wood fireplace. (soon to have big screen TV)
    Basically, 14 years of planning on how to survive this blistering AZ summer!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Woops I forgot to add that info. It is 1 1/4" schedule40 PVC. I found it in the electrical conduit part of Lowes. It was like 3 bucks for a 10' stick.
    There are different size umbrella poles but I dont know if there are different size sleeves.
    Also in hindsight I wish I would have had a lot more sleeves installed. We have one on the baja step and one on the luv seat in the deep end. If I could do it all all over again I would have them placed throughout the decking as well.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    Woops I forgot to add that info. It is 1 1/4" schedule40 PVC. I found it in the electrical conduit part of Lowes. It was like 3 bucks for a 10' stick.
    There are different size umbrella poles but I dont know if there are different size sleeves.
    Also in hindsight I wish I would have had a lot more sleeves installed. We have one on the baja step and one on the luv seat in the deep end. If I could do it all all over again I would have them placed throughout the decking as well.
    Got it. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind during our "final" (?) stage of pool design. Having difficulties thinking about where the sun will shine vs. umbrella sleeve placement...but working on it. Definitely putting some on our baja's and a few in our deck.
    RawhideKid

7. Back To Top    #7

hope I am not to late, but i was thinking maybe a sleve for a ladder would work for you... you can tighten them up and then put the cover over it... just a thought... we have had so many take off... but you would have to put the sleve in before you pour your deck...
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Found this from Home Depot, bath repair area.

“Sink repair – Danco – Lavatory Pop-up Drain Gasket - # 80346”

Works PERFECT for my umbrella’s, and should be fine even for the sleeves in the water!
    RawhideKid