Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build in Vail, AZ

1. Back To Top    #1

New build in Vail, AZ

So, not knowing about this site until our build was almost done, no changes were able to be made, however we are happy with the results. I would have changed a few things, knowing what I know now, like surface returns, and multi-pumps. I was under the impression we were getting intellibrite LEDs, but we ended up with "Pristine" brand LEDs. Are any of you guys in the business familiar with these? So anyway, I will try to post some pictures of our build. Thanks for looking.

Az Polar Bear Club, probably not the same when water is 57 degrees and outside temp 70, but cold none the less.
    POOL:10350 gal, 29'X16' freeform IG, Blue Granite Pebble sheen, 30sqft waterfall, T-15 SWG, PV-3 cleaner, 2ea Pristine LED's, skimmer, aerator, no surface returns, Acylic deck, 8 HCAD's Heliocol solar, 425 Hayward cart filter, 2HP VS hayward pump, TF-100 test kit
    SPA: 2005 Jacuzzi model J385 550 Gallon, Bromine for now, love it but loads of problems!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build in Vail, AZ

"Az Polar Bear Club, probably not the same when water is 57 degrees and outside temp 70, but cold none the less."
    I know that's right! You won't catch me in the water at that temperature.

Nice looking pool!

That "soil" looks like jackjammer and explosives would be required to handle excavation.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that a floater I see in the pool

Very nice

4. Back To Top    #4

looks good! What color/type of plaster did you use? I like the color of water.
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey simicrintz,
    Yes the pool company started it with that, until they get the salt started in 30 days, trust me, once they turn it over to me officially, I will be going BBB. Already stockpiling some Walmart bleach (whole 2 bottles) assuming it will need it on occasion. Sounds like here in this area, high PH is the constant battle. I will definetly have some questions on my balancing but will save for new thread.
    POOL:10350 gal, 29'X16' freeform IG, Blue Granite Pebble sheen, 30sqft waterfall, T-15 SWG, PV-3 cleaner, 2ea Pristine LED's, skimmer, aerator, no surface returns, Acylic deck, 8 HCAD's Heliocol solar, 425 Hayward cart filter, 2HP VS hayward pump, TF-100 test kit
    SPA: 2005 Jacuzzi model J385 550 Gallon, Bromine for now, love it but loads of problems!!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd switch to the bleach if your CYA is already at 60 (or higher). Probably not close to that yet, unless they put too much in initially and the floater is adding to it. It's just hard to get rid of excess CYA, so I would rather see you not have to deal with that, if possible.

Very nice looking pool! You guys are going to have a great summer

7. Back To Top    #7

Since we are talking about it, I will add in my numbers are per Leslie's test, got my TF-100 last night, so will run those tests tonight, but first numbers are:
    FC-5+
    PH 7.8 added 20oz this morning
    TA120
    CH 80 Leslie's said to watch this, apparently I have very low amount in tap water, should I be concerned with this yet?
    CYA 45
    Phospates? 100
    I had asked the store if I should close up the floater some due to high number of FC, and CYA where it's at already. Do you all agree, or take it out completely?

Thanks again.
    Jay

8. Back To Top    #8

Partypond,
    It is Blue Granite Pebble sheen, I think I got lucky and didn't experience the two weeks of green most people get with Blue Granite. I thought it was more grey if anything, but it is real clear, and the blue lights at night really make it look great.

Jay

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you sure your CH is that low, Jay? Can you measure it yourself (I just don't trust Leslie's)?

If it is, I would suggest you get it up closer to 200. 75 starts to become aggressive water, and you are awfully close to that.

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh yeah, and ditch the floater and get started on liquid chlorine (get rid of the pucks altogether).

11. Back To Top    #11

Great looking pool! Thanks for the pics.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

12. Back To Top    #12

So I did my initial test last night with the TF-100, just like playing with my chemistry set as a kid. I will post my results, but also have a few questions, to make sure I did it right. So here are the numbers, not far off leslies.
    FC 6.5 Leslie said 5+
    CC 1 Leslie ?
    TC 7.5 Leslie 5+
    PH 7.5 Leslie had 7.8, but I put in 20oz after that
    T/A 90 Leslie 120
    CH 90 Leslie 80

I pulled the floater out, since it has done what they wanted I think. I did not test CYA, because I think I have an issue with my CYA view tube, there is no black dot inside, but I will email tftestkits to sort that out.

So I would assume I should get after that calcium number, suggestions for the best distribution way, dissolve and add, or just broadcast?

Thanks Jay

13. Back To Top    #13

That CC of 1 bothers me a little but several public water systems now use monochloramine so that would show up as CC in a new fill. Unless of course that was 1 drop and not 1ppm.

I always prefer to mix the calcuim in a 5 gal bucket of pool water and then pour it in the pool. With a new pool I wouldn't go crazy with adding any though. It's easy to add but very hard to remove.

Was your pool water hauled in or was it from an onsite source (fire hydrant, hose bib, etc)?

It would be a good idea to get an assay of your public water from your utility so you'd know what you will be adding to it each time you refill.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks Bama,
    So I am reading up on the proper testing methods, but using a speed stir, I put in 13 drops R-0871 to change the pink water to clear (where I got the 6.5), then I added the 5 drops of R-0003 it turned slightly pink, 2 drops of R-0871 turned it back to clear. That is were I got the 1 from. Does that sound right?

As far as my fill water, it is a very small local company, the well is less than a mile from my place, underground tank I guess, but there is a small shed and large propane type tank. I don't think they treat it much, probably some sort of injector on site. I had Leslies test my fill water, I will do the same this weekend. They showed NO FC or TC. PH was at 7.4 (near perfect?) TA 120, CH 80, TDS 50. So sounds like it is just well water? What's really nice is the whole fill should only cost me $40 because thay have a standing charge of 4.40 per 1000 gallons, no increase to volume like the city has.
    Finally, I do have their last water quality report, it is from Dec 2009, I will have to check it out. I was hoping they will release one soon for Dec 2010. Will keep you posted as to what I find.

Jay

15. Back To Top    #15

Your testing sounds right. When you get the latest report you'll know what they're adding and what's already there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit