Useing Sprinkler system to fill pool

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Good morning, after noon or evening, whitch ever the case may be :wave:

I have started to redo my pool, back patio and yard before the summer hits this year. I will be upgradeing my 16" round intex pool to the 24" round intex pool and will be also redoing the pump/filter plumbing. So I will start off my project by asking a question about a pool fill line I want to add to my pool.

I have an automatic sprinkler system in the yard that has a constant water feed to supply all of the sprinkler zones. The sprinkler system has a water backflow device because it is tapped into the house main water line. Since the sprinkler system has the device and is constantly full of water can I tap in to that sprinkler line and connect it to my return line after the filter to provide a water source to fill the pool without having to pull out the hose? I plan on putting in a check valve to help keep the pool water from backing up in to the sprinkler sytem and also add a manual ball valve to the fill line and a manual ball valve in the return line after the filter and before the fill line. I know in order for the pool fill to work I would have to turn off the pump close the valve on the return line and open the valve on the fill line. I also have the intex SWG so would I put the fill line before the SWG or after the SWG? I think it needs to go after but not to sure.

This is the start of many questions I will have during the early spring upgrade. :whoot:

Any input would be great, Thanks
Mark

They couldnt care less where you put the sprinkler line. They dont regulate pool plumbing or sprinkler plumbing for that matter. You're just using your sprinkler main as a hose, really.
As long as there's a backflow preventer on the sprinkler system thats all the AHJ cares about.

Put the fill line after the SWG.

Thanks woodyp for the reply.

I know I have to go through the building inspector before any hookup is connected. I may not have worded my question correctly. I want to know if my plan to use the sprinkler water line as a pool fill line also is a desent way of doing it and if my placement of parts is correct. If I have to go off of the main line my question still stands for the way I want to hook it up. Does anyone know if my way to hook up a fill line is good or not?

Would like to here about the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks, Mark

crookm11 said:

I know I have to go through the building inspector before any hookup is connected.

Who told you that? You are not hooking up house water, its off the irrigation that's already installed. I said in the post above they could not care less what you do with a sprinkler line. All they care about is that a backflow is on the sprinkler connection from the house. And, since your the home owner, you dont need a license to do it. For some odd reason, Texas requires a license to install irrigation, but not if its on your own property.

What you propose for a hook up is just fine. Go for it.

Thanks for the reply bk406,

I just had my Pergola in my back yard inspected by the building inspector and we got in to a conversation about pools. He told me that anything I did I needed to get inspected so I assumed that ment anything I connected to that was already there. I'm a new home owner so I'm still in the learning phase when it comes to what you can do and not do. Thanks for your help. I did find out I have to get a pool permit to put the temporary pool up so I will have to get the install inspected anyway.

I love the info on this forum, everyone ROCKS!!!

Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.