Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Multi or single color LED?

1. Back To Top    #1

Multi or single color LED?

The difference in price between the single color and multi color led pool lights is just over $200 for the range I have chosen.
    I probably would use only the blue anyway but some of the pictures I have seen of blue led lit pools are a bit too much for my taste, almost like blue ink.
    I dont know how they look in real life as I have only seen led lit pools in pictures.
    Has anyone had both multi and single color lights and if so, did they end up using mainly the blue on the multi for most of the time?
    The pool itself will be a pale blue.
    11k gallon IG Ferrocement , Onga (Pentair) SF750 1hp pump, Onga Pantera MK11 PCF200sqft Cartridge Filter, Watermaid WM40-QT300 SWG, Spa Electrics GK7 LED

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Multi or single color LED?

Go with the multi color led lights. You will regret not having the various options. We use all of the light shows. It is very soothing. Look at this link http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 28228.html
    Hope this helps.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for that. That halogen must have driven you nuts!

I was wondering if a single color might be brighter, as its the colored led's (I think!) which provide the color.
    If that is true then presumably a multicolored light must only use a proportion of the led's at any one time whereas a single color would use all of the leds all of the time?. Plus a white led is apparently 20% brighter than a colored one (I realize you had the opposite problem to deal with). I am only putting in one
    so whilst its not a huge pool, I do need to make the most of that one light.
    11k gallon IG Ferrocement , Onga (Pentair) SF750 1hp pump, Onga Pantera MK11 PCF200sqft Cartridge Filter, Watermaid WM40-QT300 SWG, Spa Electrics GK7 LED

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a multicolored pentair and use the light shows only when we have young kids as guests which is infrequent ... the rest of the time I use only the blue light which is by far the most pleasing color ... and best of all, it doesn't attract bugs ... it also gives good penetration all the way to the end of my 40' pool ... by comparison the red light only penetrates about 10' ... the blue is not inky at all, but then my pool is white plaster which I have never regreted ... pale blue should be fine ...
    40K gal rectangular IG Gunite ... white plaster ... 20 ft negative edge ... 2 Intelliflo VF 3050 pumps ... 2 Sta-Rite Cartridge filters ... IC60 SWG ... Pentair Thermaflo heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

We have a multicolor light on our above ground and I'd say that 90% of the time it stays on blue but every so often I'll set it to cycle through the colors just for the party effect.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I enjoy the multi-colored lights. It was a once in a lifetime decision for me so it was and easy one.
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jack@eztrakr.com
    I have a multicolored pentair and use the light shows only when we have young kids as guests which is infrequent ... the rest of the time I use only the blue light which is by far the most pleasing color ... and best of all, it doesn't attract bugs ... it also gives good penetration all the way to the end of my 40' pool ... by comparison the red light only penetrates about 10' ... the blue is not inky at all, but then my pool is white plaster which I have never regreted ... pale blue should be fine ...
    Thanks for your feedback everyone, that's very helpful.

Something I always wanted to know; does your white pool stay blue on cloudy/dull days (during the daytime)?

8. Back To Top    #8

Our pool already looks blue as we do not have white plaster.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

Today is cloudy with drizzle ... and the water is a lovely pale blue with the white plaster ... I do have dark blue waterline tile ... and thanks to TFP the water is always clear and sparkling ...
    40K gal rectangular IG Gunite ... white plaster ... 20 ft negative edge ... 2 Intelliflo VF 3050 pumps ... 2 Sta-Rite Cartridge filters ... IC60 SWG ... Pentair Thermaflo heat pump