Solar Sun Rings

Jan 7, 2011
North Texas
As I dream of a time when I can enjoy the warm weather and our pool again, the thought has crossed my mind about maybe getting some solar sun rings to warm up the pool faster in the spring and keep it warmer longer in the fall. What are the pros and cons of these and how can I expect it to affect the chemistry when they are in?
Mind you, I am still VERY green right now..so dumb it down :wink:
We are planning to resurface in the spring and the hot tub is "down for maintenance" until I can find time to finish the decontamination process, so I have not really had a chance to play with the new test kit I got ( the one suggested on TFP).
Thanks,
B

The most common experience with solar sun rings is that they are too much trouble for what they do. They don't keep the heat in nearly as much as a solid solar cover and they tend to have minor problems of one kind or another. The do work some, but it is more of a cool idea, than a practical solution. If you want to keep the heat in use a real solar cover.

Solar covers of any kind cut down on heat loss, reduce chlorine consumption, and tend to cause a small increase in CC levels. Generally it is best to remove a cover at least once a week for a couple of hours in order to avoid any risk of more serious issues. Other than that, they work well for most people, give or take the effort of putting them on and taking them off.

Rings are useful on free form pools where a solid cover and reel are not practical. They won't heat the pool much but will help keep it in by reducing evaporation, the #1 source of heat loss. They aren't perfect but are better than nothing.

Scott

We have a freeform pool with Solar Sun Rings and the results are definitely mixed.

They do heat the pool - somewhat
They do cut down on the chlorine loss - somewhat better
They are a pain to put in and take out and if you stack them together in the sun they will melt together.
They tend to collect all the surface gunk and therefore always feel dirty.

If it's frequently windy when they would be out - I wouldn't bother

If you have a rectangular pool - go with the cover and reel option.

If all those caveats haven't scared you off :) Ebay is definitely the place to find them at a better price

Thanks for the input all! :) We do have a free form pool and the idea of a regular solar cover kinda freaks both me and my hubby out. Mainly because we are afraid one of the dogs might decide it was ok to walk on it ( otherwise they leave the pool alone) and then the fear of tangling and drowning ( I know, we are a bit paranoid, but it can happen). It sounds like they are a pain, but may be the only option for us if we want to at least sorta keep more heat in the pool.
Again, I appreciate the input!
B

Go and see them up close! they are no better than buying a lot of cheap lilo's.
If you are worried about your dog cut a conventional solar cover into pieces and that solves that problem. Our neighbours dog jumped into our pool and had no trouble with our full length cover, he didn't get swamped, wrapped up or anything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.