Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Early Opening in CT? How early

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Early Opening in CT? How early

I have a inground gunite pool that is heated off my Central Boiler ouutdoor wood furnace. I plan on having a lot of wood to start pumping hot water into the pool - Q- how early can you viably open in New England if you have a good heater running all the time? April ?

Any feedback or stories would be appreciated. I read the other day it's only 110 days to Spring.

B
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Early Opening in CT? How early

I'd say no sooner than April. That is pretty much the end of the hard freezes. God forbid a night time ice storm takes out power. The above ground plumbing would be at risk. That plumbing includes the equipment like the heat exchanger, pump, filter....

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in central massachusetts and I open around tax day. By then the chance of a hard freeze is over. Thats really all you need to worry about. If it gets down to 28-32, just run the pump. You just dont want low 20's for an extended period.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am targeting April 15th or sooner if it thaws out. Do have a propane stand by back up generator.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100