electric costs out of hand

Jan 14, 2011
Sacramento CA
Hi all,

This is my first post here. We put in a 13,200 gal pool this summer, and since neither of us had ever so much as looked closely at a pool before, our PB's offer of one year free maintenance was a major perk. The pool is absolutely gorgeous, and it's reassuring to have someone maintain it for us until we know what we are doing. Unfortunately the electric costs are outrageous; our electric bills have been $200/mo over last year. There's no way an intelliflo VS should be costing us this much. I need to take this over - I can't afford this free service! - but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and don't want to get this wrong.

About a month ago after the leaves (mostly) finished dropping our pool guy dialed back both the run time and the speed, and it now runs for 4 hrs per day at 2200 RPM, 820 watts. I can't imagine where he had it before. I know I want to run it longer and much slower, but am unclear on how to find the right settings. How do I calculate turnover time? How many turnovers per day do I want in the winter (water temp in the 40s), vs the summer, when the solar is on and I have to run at a higher speed anyway?

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming you have decent plumbing, at least 2" pipes, a first order approximation for flow rate is about RPM/100*3. So 2200 RPM is about 66 GPM or about a 3.5 hour turnover. The most efficient setting for the Intelliflo is around 1000 RPM (30 GPM) which is a 7.5 hour turnover for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.