Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to control IntelliChlor IC40 w/Current Control Relay

1. Back To Top    #1

how to control IntelliChlor IC40 w/Current Control Relay

parts needed:
    macromatic cokp01a22 relay and socket 70170-D

total cost about 90.00

this enables system to monitor power use of IntelliFlow VF (or any variable speed programmable pump..) and to intelligently switch on/off the SWCG based on power settings (pickup and dropout, measured as a percentage of pickup amperage)

currently I have relay dialed to turn on IC40 cell at about 120 watts and to power off at 110 watts.

when I run an all day program at 95 watts, 875 rpm, the relay automatically turns off IC40 and there is no need to depend on the flow switch sensor (which would also turn RED but keep the transformer and the cell powered without a current control relay).

when system runs a 20 GPM or higher program, the IC40 automatically turns on and measures water salinity and resumes running preset program for chlorine generation.
    pictures show final installation, without the enclosure flip cover (allowing quick adjustments as needed or changes to relay programming).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to control IntelliChlor IC40 w/Current Control Relay

Good idea! I need to do this same thing with my EchoStar and Aquapure. Any suggestions on where to get the relay and socket? I checked Granger, but they don't have the specific relay...

Thanks
    15,000Gal IG Gunite\Color Quartz Plaster
    Jandy CL460 Cart Filter (460sqft, 150GPM)
    Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP
    AquaPure 1400 SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

if you go on macromatic web site, there is a link to where to buy which does not matter as they all sell same series and order from same factory.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am planning on using a Crouzet (Syrelec) LIRT220A Current controled relay because it is 220 volt, the same as my Intelliflo pump. So the wiring is simpler, no need for 110V power.

Also plan to add a digital delay timer (B1S-R-220), which resets to whatever preset run time I choose, each time the pump runs. Since I am running the pump once a day for 7 hours, I will set the SWG to run for the first 4 hours. Then simply adjust the SWG run time on the digital timer to maintain the proper chlorine level.

See attached schematic. SCHEMATIC HAS CHANGED, SWG IS ON NORMAL CLOSED (NC) TERMINAL
    Easytouch, Intelliflo, Intellichem, Acid tank with pump, Intellichlor and Autelis network interface.

5. Back To Top    #5

>> So the wiring is simpler, no need for 110V power.

Having worked in the power industry for some decades and while my Pentair equipment is all 240v, the Current Control Relay is actually simpler to wire as 120v since *all it does* is to monitor the power use and intelligently switch things on or off

A 120v CCR can monitor and enable/disable 240v devices

That said, there is never a single solution, use what works

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by susa
    >> So the wiring is simpler, no need for 110V power.

Having worked in the power industry for some decades and while my Pentair equipment is all 240v, the Current Control Relay is actually simpler to wire as 120v since *all it does* is to monitor the power use and intelligently switch things on or off

A 120v CCR can monitor and enable/disable 240v devices

That said, there is never a single solution, use what works
    Simpler because the 110 in my location is on a separate breaker and in a different box.

I was just attempting to add something to your great work, no disrespect.

Thought maybe someone would like a schematic...
    Easytouch, Intelliflo, Intellichem, Acid tank with pump, Intellichlor and Autelis network interface.

7. Back To Top    #7

>> Simpler because the 110 in my location is on a separate breaker and in a different box.

Ok, that sounds good.

Make sure the device contains a programmable dial to *delay* action in case there are random voltage fluctuations. In my case, I use up to 55-60 second delay to wait before actioning either a turn-On of the IC40 Cell and Simpool Acid Injection pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by susa
    >> Simpler because the 110 in my location is on a separate breaker and in a different box.

Ok, that sounds good.

Make sure the device contains a programmable dial to *delay* action in case there are random voltage fluctuations. In my case, I use up to 55-60 second delay to wait before actioning either a turn-On of the IC40 Cell and Simpool Acid Injection pump
    It does have a delay timer but the range is from .1 to 10 seconds

9. Back To Top    #9

Jerryt, can you let me know how your setup goes? Soudns liek you are ready to install, but ahve not yet. I think I'll be in a similar situation where teh 110V will be another task to run it into a seperate box (but not impossible), so I'm interested to hear how your 220V setup worked.
    IG, 13,000 gal, concrete, DE, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG

San Diego, Ca.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by markmac
    Jerryt, can you let me know how your setup goes?
    Sure thing, I have all the pieces. I just need some time and possibly an enclosure.

11. Back To Top    #11

Jerryt, can you let me know how your setup goes?
    SCHEMATIC HAS BEEN CHANGED

The timer uses the NC terminal, first schematic was incorrect.

Everything worked great, I used my existing enclosure.

12. Back To Top    #12

Jerryt,

Pm sent

San Diego, Ca.

13. Back To Top    #13

Jerryt,

Pm sent
    You can find the timer by searching "B1S-R-220" on ebay with the "include description" box checked
    http://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?LH_Title ... &_odkw=b1s

14. Back To Top    #14

Final product looks really good. As soon as I can get the relay, I'm going to set up this configuration as well.

San Diego, Ca.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks to Susa and JerryT for all the details here. Just installed the relay and clock and works liek a charm. Now my Intelliflo basically runs the daily program, and when skimming, it will switch on the SWG.

Time to add Salt.

San Diego, Ca.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks everyone, this solution worked great for me.

I have a simple system: pool,pump,filter,solar panels, bottom vac.
    Nothing to really control, the Pentair timer/speed is plenty, so I just
    added the current controlled relay.

Using Ebay, I got an old stock relay and new chinese socket for just
    over twenty bucks. So much better than a multi-hundred dollar
    automation system!!
    Gary
    El Dorado Hills, CA

17. Back To Top    #17

Susa do you have a wiring diagram? I have a 120v version relay but I'm having trouble figuring out how to wire everything up.

Thanks

18. Back To Top    #18

I have a pentail programmable pump, I don't want to use the additional timer you have in the picture, would it still run correctly?

Frank

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin88 View Post
    I have a pentail programmable pump, I don't want to use the additional timer you have in the picture, would it still run correctly?

Frank
    Certainly, all this timer and relay stuff was for the IntelliChlor, not the pump.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin88 View Post

Frank
    A pentair intelliflow pump with a built in timer will run great wired directly to a circuit breaker and controlled from the built in control panel.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast