Favorite (or least favorite) Pebble Tech/Sheen colors?

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
We (DW and me) are debating what color tile, decking, and pebblesheen to go with. I typically defer to her on color choices, but it's so tough to tell what colors will work best for the interior of the pool. We've visited a few pool builders to look at the different colors under water, but the debate rages on....

But thought I'd ask everyone here - what colors do you have, and do you like (or really dislike) what you have? We typically like a light tan, but figure that we'll go with that color for the decking, and then a blue of some type for the pebblesheen. I like the darker colors like Turtle Bay. But we worry that, with our kids (ages 5-10), we'll want as clear, light a color as possible (arctic white?). http://www.pebbletec.com/pebble_sheen_swatch.aspx

Anyone with strong opinions here on colors to lean towards or away from? We do intend to have some very bright lights in the pool due to some of this concern of seeing our kids underwater quite well.

as always, thx

RK

Unless you have really weird colored kids :shock: , you won't lose them in any color :lol: I've yet to have heard of anyone losing their kid in a pool, regardless of color, so do not worry about that!

Blue Granite is the most popular Sheen color. Turtle Bay (and some of the other Category III colors) are not as popular only because people are unwilling to pay for the color above the already higher price for the P-Tec product in general. If you are looking for blue/green water, Blue Granite would be a good choice. Arctic White pretty much looks like regular white plaster, so you don't get that "wow factor" that you typically get with P-Tec products. If you are just looking for the longevity of the line, then they are all the same, however.

Remember that water is clear. The sky is blue (usually!). the bottom color that you select will blend with the blue sky to get your water color. Arctic White will reflect the sky and give you a crisp blue. Blue Granite will blend the blue sky with the plaster matrix (light grey) and the rock colors (white, tan and black, mostly) and give a deeper blue, but a green hue from the tan rocks. Desert Gold will mix the tan bottom with the blue sky and give emerald green water. Darker colors will also reflect the surroundings more, so a tan house can make green water at certain times of the day, or trees will reflect also.

I would look at some pools in person, and pay attention to the surroundings so that you can compare it to your surroundings. Don't trust the brochure or online pictures. Take the time to go see it in person.

It is great that you are worried about seeing the kids, but that is really not a worry. Look for a color you like and go for it!!

Reactions: Ellen M
I have Tahoe blue PT on my own pool - and several others under my care. Like it a lot, folks who visit love it - wish I would have gone darker.

Favorites - dark. Saw a black that was AWESOME - had (I think) the Fina sparkles in it. Just jaw-dropping. I also like black because it gives a darkish-deep blue color to the water - and helps keep the pool warm. If I had money to burn, I would take out my Tahoe blue and put in the sparkly black.

Stay away from the Caribbean colors - they tend to give the pool a lighter green-ish blue look. Personal bias that I'm not a fan of that color, but also have a pool under my care with that color and it tends to hide algae better.

No first-hand experience, but Arctic White would be my choice. Love the water color on white floor. See, for great example, Henry Porter's string on TFP -- his pool is white tile and gorgeous. In a dramatically different league, my white Intex liner had great water color (for my eye) while I don't really love it in my friend's with at dark blue liner. I can't speak to whether your safety concerns are legit since I have really only swum in a dark-blue-lined pool as opposed to watching others. I can say I'd see a kid in a millisecond in my white Intex pool. Good luck and congrats on your new pool!

We went with Blue Granite and are completely satisfied with our choice. Turtle bay and Seafoam also made the list of favorites.
I can email or post some pics of how ours tyurned out if you would like.
Have you considered glass tile as your tile option? If you havent seen it you should check it out. It is amazing.

We went with Blue Granite Pebble Sheen and love the color. We didn't want any greenish tint at all which is why we ended up with Blue Granite. We also analyzed this to death and here are a couple of things that may help you decision. 1. Even though the color may be dark, the water is still clear and you can easily see the bottom. With our BG color, I can clearly read the letters on our main drain cover and see individual pebbles in the deep end. I'm not sure how the really dark colors would look but I consider BG to be a medium darkness color and it is no issue. 2. The color changes depending on the water depth. Your pool builder should be able to show you swatch of what each color looks like at different depths. If I remember right, the darker colors look lighter the shallower the water is. In our pool, the deepest end is only 6' so the darker color didn't seem as dark. 3. We ended up with Pebble sheen instead of Pebble tech because we liked the smaller stones and thought it would be a little easier on the feet. We've been happy with the decision. Hope this helps.

We went to a PB store today and the aqua blue looked way too light blue - but it was in bright sunlight (love AZ this time of year) - and fairy shallow. A small shady area looked ok.

A deeper pool in more shade had a darker color pebble tech - can't recall exactly the color. And I would worry about being able to see a kid in the deepest part of the pool.

We are planning a 9 foot deep end. We may have to go with the aqua blue even though it looks too light in color to me, especially in bright sun and shallow water. Ugh...what a decision.

I happened to look at my pool earlier today and remembered this post. My water is clear enough to tell heads or tails on a coin in the 7' section, and it would be easy to see anything easily (my pool cleaner looked like it was in about 3' of water), and that is with Blue Granite.

You have to make the choice that is best for you. I just don't think you'll have a problem seeing people in any color. As long as the pool is clean (not murky with algae) you should be fine with any color offered. Remember, these are colors specifically made for swimming pools, and many people have these colors already.

Good luck with your decision!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.