Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick answer needed on DE filter removal for cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick answer needed on DE filter removal for cleaning

Hi guys,
    I am cleaning my DE filter for the first time, thanks to some great instructions from simicrintz. I have already PM'd him my question but as my filter is currently apart, I need a quick answer so I thought I'd post here too.

I've gotten to the point where I am trying to get my filter out of the casing. Bruce told me to try to move it back and forth to loosen it or also that some of the filters individual pieces come out. I can't get it to jiggle at all to loosen and am afraid of damaging anything since I can't really tell what's dirt, what's filter and what's DE! When stuff crumbles away in my hand, I fear the worst. LOL

I don't know if anyone can tell from this photo if the filter can be disassembled in small bits or needs to come out as one piece and where do I start?

Thanks for a quick reply.

Anne
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick answer needed on DE filter removal for cleaning

Trying to see what type (brand/model) that is - it looks older. Each one of those "fans" is an individual "grid". It looks like you have an "upside-down" configuration where water exits the grid at the bottom. Each grid should be separately removable - just grab one one-at-a-time and "wiggle" it as you pull upwards.

Then wash and inspect the grid. Older grids can get brittle and already be broken (or, you can break them easily if they are older). I generally look for broken pieces of plastic inside the grid, and holes in the fabric that covers the grid. A few small broken pieces of plastic aren't a big worry, but if there are enough broken pieces and the grid is collapsing then you might want to consider replacing the grid. Another piece that breaks and will require the grid to be replaced is the "output" of the grid (circular, at the bottom of your grid - the grid itself is the input).

Don't worry about stuff at the bottom of the tank - the tank should have an 1 1/2" "plug" that you can remove and then rinse the tank right before you start putting the grids back in.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much. Between yourself and Bruce responding to me, I was able to figure it out. A bit easier once I learned that they came out separately, I just found one that would budge and it worked. I have the grids out now, it IS an older filter and there are some of the grids that are "rounder" than others - wondering if now they could have broken pieces in them. Also, one has a small tear - size of a quarter - is that something to be concerned about?

Anne
    Temecula, CA
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

4. Back To Top    #4

You will want to replace grids with obvious tears like that. Don't want any DE in the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    You will want to replace grids with obvious tears like that. Don't want any DE in the pool.
    Yup - makes a MESS...
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I just read that if they are really old, you should replace the system as a whole rather than one grid. Is that what y'all recommend? If I don't have to spend the money now I would rather not, but I understand if that's the best practice.

Thanks
    Temecula, CA

7. Back To Top    #7

If the rest are in GREAT shape, replace the one. If the rest are older and in questionable shape, replace them all...

8. Back To Top    #8

That looks familiar...

(From my thread a few weeks ago.)
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!