Stablizer In Sock

Sep 13, 2009
Florida
After lurking here for a long time this is my first ever thread.

Over in the pool school there are directions to put the solid stablizer in a sock and drop it into the skimmer.

I took the added step of closing the end of the sock with a rubber band. It did not exactly state to close the sock.

After running the pump for about 16 hours the sock has not changed much in appearance. Still looks to be about the originial size.

Did I screw this up?

No, you haven't messed anything up. The rubber band won't make any difference really. You can go and agitate it a little by hand every now and then. CYA takes a while to dissolve. If your water is at all cold, it can take longer.

No, that's how I do it too. But after it sits in the skimmer overnight, I then massage the sock so that the stabilizer dissolves quicker. Squeeze the sock while its in the skimmer and you'll see cloudy stabilizer coming out mixing in with the water that's in the skimmer; keep doing that and after a while it will all be dissolved. I also started using a knee-high (women's) stocking rather than my husband's thick white sock 'cos I think that also helps it dissolve quicker. Once its all dissolved, give it a couple days to mix in with the whole pool before testing your CYA level.

Whenever I need to add stabilizer, I'll hang the sock in front of a return. It seems like it dissolves faster that when I drop it in the skimmer. The last time I added stabilizer, though, I got lazy and just poured it into the skimmer and made sure not to backwash the filter for a while. Seems like it worked ok.

guamguy said:
Whenever I need to add stabilizer, I'll hang the sock in front of a return. It seems like it dissolves faster that when I drop it in the skimmer. The last time I added stabilizer, though, I got lazy and just poured it into the skimmer and made sure not to backwash the filter for a while. Seems like it worked ok.

That's perfectly fine. The reason for the sock is to allow you to backwash normally without losing your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.