Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stablizer In Sock

1. Back To Top    #1

Stablizer In Sock

After lurking here for a long time this is my first ever thread.

Over in the pool school there are directions to put the solid stablizer in a sock and drop it into the skimmer.

I took the added step of closing the end of the sock with a rubber band. It did not exactly state to close the sock.

After running the pump for about 16 hours the sock has not changed much in appearance. Still looks to be about the originial size.

Did I screw this up?
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stablizer In Sock

No, you haven't messed anything up. The rubber band won't make any difference really. You can go and agitate it a little by hand every now and then. CYA takes a while to dissolve. If your water is at all cold, it can take longer.

3. Back To Top    #3

No, that's how I do it too. But after it sits in the skimmer overnight, I then massage the sock so that the stabilizer dissolves quicker. Squeeze the sock while its in the skimmer and you'll see cloudy stabilizer coming out mixing in with the water that's in the skimmer; keep doing that and after a while it will all be dissolved. I also started using a knee-high (women's) stocking rather than my husband's thick white sock 'cos I think that also helps it dissolve quicker. Once its all dissolved, give it a couple days to mix in with the whole pool before testing your CYA level.
    10,000 gallon Pebble Fina Grigio, Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE filter, WhisperFlo Dual Speed 3/4 HP pump, IntelliBrite LED Light, The PoolCleaner, 8 gal Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

Whenever I need to add stabilizer, I'll hang the sock in front of a return. It seems like it dissolves faster that when I drop it in the skimmer. The last time I added stabilizer, though, I got lazy and just poured it into the skimmer and made sure not to backwash the filter for a while. Seems like it worked ok.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by guamguy
    Whenever I need to add stabilizer, I'll hang the sock in front of a return. It seems like it dissolves faster that when I drop it in the skimmer. The last time I added stabilizer, though, I got lazy and just poured it into the skimmer and made sure not to backwash the filter for a while. Seems like it worked ok.
    That's perfectly fine. The reason for the sock is to allow you to backwash normally without losing your CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat