How Screwed am i

Jul 30, 2010
Long Story short, I get off work a couple of days ago, and notice my pool level is way below the skimmer and there is water coming out of my back yard into the alley. I have refilled the pool, and it seems to lose about 4 inch's of water every 5-6 hours. I have tried to dig around the pool to find a water soaked area with no luck. This is a 15000 gallon in ground gunite pool with attached hot tub. Called my insurance and they said they will not cover it because its not under the dwelling. Any ideas on how much this is going to cost? Or how much I am going screw up the pool by just letting it sit below the jets for a few months till I can get some money together to fix this. I am guessing its one of the return lines busted underground, which is under a cool deck.

Put winterizing plugs or expanding test plugs in the returns and see if that fixes the leak. At least you'll be sure of where it is.

Is the pool open or winterized?

JohnT said:
Put winterizing plugs or expanding test plugs in the returns and see if that fixes the leak. At least you'll be sure of where it is.

Is the pool open or winterized?

Its open, Im in Dallas Texas so we dont see too much cold weather. I just checked the light and skimmer and dont see any signs of leaking. But my alley is slowly turning into my new pool. :grrrr: Anyone had to have a cool deck tore up for a pipe repair? How much money am I looking at? Im assuming this is not going to be cheap by any means. Also looking for a good leak detection company in the East dallas Area.

It will cost you several hundred bucks to have someone locate the leak. Make sure they pressure test your plumbing as well - probably aroune 6-700 bucks for the whole deal, less if they find it quick? There's no point on speculating how much it will cost until you locate the source of the leak - could be fairly simple. There's a company in Dallas area called The Crack Doctor who is very good. Even this time of year, they will dive in the pool using dry suits & locate the leak. They can estimate repair as well, and you're best off getting several estimates.

I contacted this company http://www.allproleakdetection.com/and they are going to take a look at it on sat. 375 to find the leak. He said a normal cost to repair under a deck is about 700. Which is kind of a relief I expected 3-4 grand for this kind of a problem.

I swear when it rains it pours. Got hit my a drunk, uninsured driver two weeks ago, and just had to buy a new vehicle, now this Crud.

bk406 said:
Is the water below the returns and is it still leaking? Do you have a main drain? If you do, is there any way to shut it off?

The lowest I let it get was 4 inch's below the skimmer which is still above the returns. I have been just constantly adding water to it and keeping my pool heater on. No main drain on my pool.

Ryanh1801 said:
bk406 said:
Is the water below the returns and is it still leaking? Do you have a main drain? If you do, is there any way to shut it off?

The lowest I let it get was 4 inch's below the skimmer which is still above the returns. I have been just constantly adding water to it and keeping my pool heater on. No main drain on my pool.
Why keep putting water into it? If you're worried about circulating the water because of the cold weather, just drain the filter and pump. It's an inground pool, so any water in the above ground plumbing will drain back into the pool. That heater is costing you a fortune if you're really running it non-stop right now...

I'm also thinking that you should stop adding water. By doing so, you may be able to isolate where the leak might be. If it stops leaking at the returns or the light, then you know a little more than you did.

If it's 4" below the skimmers, that leaves only two possibilities...either a busted return or a problem with the structure of the pool. Have you been able to rule out a hole in the liner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.