Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Stainless Steel Panel

Stainless Steel Panel

Does anyone have any advice on a stainless steel service panel. A pool I am looking at ( Cameo made by Wilbar) offers such a panel for an additional $200. Is it worth the extra money? I read on the doughboy site that they don't offer such panels because of issues of corrision where the stainless steel meets the steel. Thanks!
    Wil-Bar 27'x54" Quest AGP
    Hayward 1HP Powerflo Pump
    Hayward 256 T Swimpro Sand Filter

Re: Stainless Steel Panel

Quote Originally Posted by pmsmith2032
    Does anyone have any advice on a stainless steel service panel. A pool I am looking at ( Cameo made by Wilbar) offers such a panel for an additional $200. Is it worth the extra money? I read on the doughboy site that they don't offer such panels because of issues of corrision where the stainless steel meets the steel. Thanks!

I have a wilbar influence pool and I have the steel panel...it didn't cost me anything extra...I think the Great Escape sells them with all their pools. It is stronger, and makes it easier for the installer to cut in for the skimmer and the return. If it is stainless steel what do you have to worry about corrosion for? Mine is three years old, and there isn't a problem with it. It is actually thicker than the pool wall itself, and is stronger. Like I said mine was part of the deal with TGE...they put it on all their wilbars. I can't reccommend paying $200 extra for it, but when it comes to cutting a hole for the skimmer and return, you don't lose any strength in the stainless panel. Some people say it looks ugly...well My neigbors gotta see it not me, it is on the far side of the pool.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

"Some people say it looks ugly...well My neigbors gotta see it not me, it is on the far side of the pool."

Not as ugly as if it were rust spots from where the hoses are.

We have a stainless panel on ours as well and highly recommend it. And, we didn't pay extra either.
    18 X 54 Round-Wilbar-Sharkline Above Ground Tahitian
    Stainless steel access panel/ 1.5 hp pump
    Self Installed 6/09
    Crushed by Irene, and a 50ft oak 8/28/11
    Re installing 4/12 and up and running

how did that stainless steel panel come? My pool was just delivered yesterday and their is one box for the steel wall. (Very heavy). I am assuming that the SS piece is rolled up inside that box along with the painted steel roll. I don't want to open the box till it is time to put the pool up since it will need to be moved and the box is holding everything together.

We haven't had ours delivered yet, but I will let you know when it is.
    Wil-Bar 27'x54" Quest AGP
    Hayward 1HP Powerflo Pump
    Hayward 256 T Swimpro Sand Filter

We too have a wilbar from the great escape. Stainless steel panel came standard. I'm almost positive it was packaged with the rest of the pool wall...just had it installed in late August. There was no extra package I can think of that would have held a separate piece.
    21' round 54" AG Wilbar Quest; ~11,000 gal//Hayward Easy-Clear 125 sq ft Cartridge filter//Hayward Power-Flo LX 2hp pump

It was rolled up in with the steel wall. I think all my parts are in now. Need to finish leveling the site then the work begins.