Why do all in-ground Spa's have near vertical sides?

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
Curious about this...maybe i've just not seen any other type, but it seems like all these built-in spa's that are built with an in-ground pool have vertical or near vertical walls. I know you can add extra jets and such which is nice and I plan to do so, but why can't the sides be angled a bit? perhaps 60 degree's rather than ~90 that is norm? Or some of the spa sides by 60, some sides 70, some 80...etc....

One builder said it was illegal to do anything other than 90 degrees...

I think it would be much more comfy to be angled a bit. I'm not trying to duplicate a hot tub design, but a bit more of a relaxed back position would be nice.

comments from y'all?

thx,

RK

I have the guys cut all mine with sloped sides. It is a gradual slope (you tend to slouch in a spa anyway) as opposed to vertical, but sloped just the same. No reason any good gunite (shotcrete) outfit couldn't do it. Make a note on the paperwork and try to be onsite the day they do it though. Most guys will go on "auto pilot" and just cut them like they always do if you don't remind them!!

One other thing I meant to address and forgot earlier: I have never heard of it being "illegal" to slope the sides, nor do I know why it would :roll: I would ask for a copy of that information before I accepted it, if it comes to that.

What do they think will happen? Is the slope going to be too slippery and you're going to slide underwater :hammer: :lol:

Just an FYI, our friends wanted a regular plastic spa with contoured seats and found a pool builder who was willing to install it as an overflow to the pool and plumb it into the pool plumbing. If you are interested in this route, I will get them to take a photo and I'll post it here.

simicrintz said:
One other thing I meant to address and forgot earlier: I have never heard of it being "illegal" to slope the sides, nor do I know why it would :roll: I would ask for a copy of that information before I accepted it, if it comes to that.

What do they think will happen? Is the slope going to be too slippery and you're going to slide underwater :hammer: :lol:

I bet it has to do with people stepping into the spa. If it's on and you can't see the wall, you'd go down pretty hard.

I guess that is possible, but that would pertain to the initial step in a spa as well, I would think. If the spa is at deck elevation, I always put in a step, but if the spa is raised, I never do; I just tell folks to sit on the edge and swing their legs in. The problem is that when the jets are on it is impossible to see the step! I can't tell you how many people miss the step in spas that have them and take a header into the spa!

I would hope that people would be smart enough to step in "properly" with or without a sloped back. However, after a few "adult beverages" a bit of common sense starts to take flight....... :cool:

simicrintz said:
I would hope that people would be smart enough to step in "properly" with or without a sloped back. However, after a few "adult beverages" a bit of common sense starts to take flight....... :cool:

I think you're an optimist. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lborne said:
Just an FYI, our friends wanted a regular plastic spa with contoured seats and found a pool builder who was willing to install it as an overflow to the pool and plumb it into the pool plumbing. If you are interested in this route, I will get them to take a photo and I'll post it here.

i'd like to see that!

We went to a local Home and Garden show today...made the mistake of talking to a hot tub dealer. Discussed Spillway Spa's and other options, such as digging down and basically "burying" most of a hot tub into the ground to give it more of an integrated look with a pool....I looked at the spillway website and wasn't overly impressed with the options.

So wife and I came home and debated above ground hot tub vs. spa - an age old debate I'm sure. I searched this forum a bit to similar debates and found some that were helpful.

But here's the deal...I understand that we'll never get the comfort of a hot tub in a spa, but can we get, well, closer?

Build relaxed, 45 degree seats and some 45 degree seats, multiple (like 6) jets to hit the back in multiple areas, adjustable jets (I swear I saw a posting about this but not sure where), and other things to make the spa more hot tub like?

I don't get the sense that the "big builders" like Shasta and Presidential do this much, but I have one smaller custom builder that I may be able to do some significant custom work like this...

Am I crazy? Will too many jets in the spa diminish the "strength" of the jets? Can cemented-spa jets be only "so close" to each other (like 8 inches) compared to 3-4 inches in some hot tubs?

Just wondering. My biggest issues with a separate hot tub is managing two separate systems - filters, pumps, water, etc...I like the integrated concept; AND I want to set with my head low to the ground for viewing the TV I plan to put in my sunken bar - if I'm in a hot tub, it'll be near impossible to see the TV unless we elevate the roof of the sunken bar - which is definitely an option...

thx all - thought I had this decision made on our yet to be built pool, and hate to rehash it. DW and I really need to start narrowing some options and making "final" decisions!

RK

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.