Which SWG ???

newpoolguyinmo

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2010
Southeast Missouri
This will be my second pool season this year and I am seriously considering installing a SWG to keep from having to add bleach every day. Can you recommend which brands of SWG are best considering function, information readout, price, how long the cell lasts, size of pool, etc.? I have heard that the big box store brands do not last very long and are not worth the money. I want something that will last a while and am willing to pay more for a quality product.

I have a 16,000 gal AG pool. I would think that I would want a SWG big enough for a pool larger than mine so it doesn't have to work as hard and thus make the cell last longer? Is there a good point to figure this number such as twice the volume of the pool or is that a mute point and not an advantage?

As you can imagine, this subject has been treated with some detail on this forum. Do a search and you will find more info than you might want. :wink:

But I think I can distill much of the recommendations I have read. AutoPilot makes one of the top of the line units and its price reflects its position in the market. Intellichlor & Aquarite are in the middle — price and feature wise. CompuPool/CircuPool is generally spoken well of for a budget model. Of course there are others, but these are the ones I read about most frequently on the forum.

They all perform approximately the same as far as function and reliability although the CompuPool is relatively new so not as much feedback on that product yet. And likewise, the rule of thumb for sizing the cell is the same for each model: Twice the pool size. I think cell life is probably similar across different models as well. Some people are getting 5 years or more out of them, although they can fail sooner than that. Proper water chemistry will help longevity.

Thanks for the advice/information so far. I have done some looking and The best deal I have found considering price and warranty is the CircuPool RJ30 which treats up to 30K gal pools. One place has it on sale this month for $669 with a 7 yr warranty. It also has the less inexpensive cell to replace. All of the other similar priced brands have a 3 yr warranty.

Anyone have any experience with this line of SWG?

I'll go out on a limb and say to try out life with a SWG, you can get by just fine with an Intex SWG for about $150. They are certainly no frills, but mine has now ran great for 2 seasons and it keeps my FC up by only running 2-3 hours per day, depending on my CYA level and number of sunny days, bather load, etc...but 2-3 hours is about avg. For your size pool, I would guess it could get the job done in 3-4 hours.

Note though, should you decide to test it out, please do seek out the 2009 and older model on ebay, without the copper ionization feature. I bought a spare last season for $150, as a back-up...time will tell how long the current on lasts, but for $75/season at this point it has paid for itself :goodjob:

Otherwise...should you choose a "real" swg, I agree with most others...goldline and intellichlor.

This was my thinking; I bought the biggest Autopilot digital that they do; I installed it 7 years ago and switched on. I have not touched it since. My pool is in France and I am in England and I will go over to check it next week; the first time since the end of September. I fully expect it to be working happily and the water to be crystal clear and my chlorine levels around 6. I love being able to drop the chlorine levels to 2ppm when I am there to monitor. When this one dies I will buy another in a heartbeat. In fact, I would buy one today as a standby but for the fact that the warranty clock would start ticking the moment I buy it.

Ian

Your post referenced a "7 year warranty"??? I'm not aware of ANY product in the pool industry that carries a 7 year warranty, more likely it's a 1 year and you may be able to purchase additional years. I know Goldline, Pentair, Jandy and Autopilot do NOT offer 7 years as a standard warranty. Look more closely to make sure you don't get burned!

It is a 7 yr warranty, but upon further research it is fully warranted for the first year, then the second year you pay 20% of replacement parts, the 3rd year you pay 40%, and so on...something to that affect. So, looks like the 7 yr warranty is not as good as some with a full 3 yr. I got my information on discountsaltpool.com and also on the manufacturers website.

So the old saying is true that you need to read the small print. I always research things to death before making a decision, but wanted a direction to start with so I asked for help here. Sounds like most people would choose the Intellichlor or Goldline Aquarite. Auto Pilot is also mentioned but a little out of my price range.

Bottom line I think is that you get what you pay for. I will continue to read and learn before making a decision. I appreciate all the comments and advice; this is a great site!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My preference is the Goldline. Not the cheapest, not the priciest, good value. Goldline didn't invent the SWG, but they were really the first company to get it right. Lots of other copies since then. Best flow rate thru the cell, simple install, simple maintenance, great support, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.