Need Advice on Dark Replaster with White Streaks

Jul 25, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Fellow TFPers –

I had my pool professionally replastered on 12/29/10. The pool had a lagoon (gray) finish and we chose to keep it that color. As the pictures show, there are whitish streaks running down the sides of the pool toward the drain, as well as some whitish mottling around the steps. While refinishing, the pool company said I would see a whitish “alkaline” coming from the plaster, especially on a dark finish, and that brushing and proper chemistry would take care of it. Almost 2 weeks out, I haven’t seen much improvement. BTW - The color variation in the lagoon finish is good with me – as long as it’s normal variation and not scaling or stain.

But before that, here’s a little more info:

The day they did the replaster it was around 50+ degrees (Tulsa, OK), completely overcast with really high humidity. They started spraying the plaster around 10a and didn’t leave until about 8:30p because it wasn’t setting up very quickly. But they got it all smoothed out but didn’t want to start the fill until the next morning. The hose/rag etc. was placed in the pool and I was to turn on the water first thing then the next morning, which was about 11 hours after they left. That morning these streak were there, starting at the tile line and ending at the drain. I assume it was the “alkaline” they were talking about.

Once the pool was filled, I started the pump and tested the water. Here are the original results:

Water temp = 48F
FC, CC, TC = 0
TA = 120
PH = 8.1
CH = 150
CYA = N/A

Sort of following the recommendations of the National Plasterers Council’s Pool Start-Up Procedures, I adjusted used muriatic acid to lower the PH and TA levels. I also added a sequestering agent. After a couple days of testing and brushing twice a day, I first got the pool to around:

Water temp = 42F
FC, CC, TC = 0
TA = 100
PH = 7.5
CH = 150
CYA = N/A

After a week I was some improvement around the tile line, but the streaks remain very prominent. Making some progress, I continued with the NPC info and adjusted the CH to 200. After some more reading, I came to the conclusion (right or wrong) that the streaks are scale and a lowering the TA & PH even more would get rid of them – so I added more acid. I retested yesterday and had this:

Water temp = 38F
FC, CC, TC = 0
TA = 100
PH = 7.5
CH = 150
CYA = N/A

So I would appreciate your comments on what’s happening here. Are the streaks scale? If so, what’s the best way to handle the situation? If not, OMG WUT DO I DO?[attachment=2:39zpd5v4]pool.jpg[/attachment:39zpd5v4][attachment=1:39zpd5v4]pool1.jpg[/attachment:39zpd5v4][attachment=0:39zpd5v4]pool2.jpg[/attachment:39zpd5v4]

Thanks!!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 87
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 87
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 87
Looks like water dripped/ran off of the deck onto the fresh plaster the night before to me. Did it rain or was there a lot of moisture in the air (I see the high humidity so I assume there was). I also see that your pH was quite high initially.

Try bringing your pH down to about 7.2 for about a week and see if they go away/lessen. That's not scaling, but it could be a pretty good stain that may or may not come out from whatever ran down it the night before filling.

>> the pool company said I would see a whitish “alkaline” coming from the plaster, especially on a dark finish, and that brushing and proper chemistry would take care of it.

upon startup of my new pool, I was told to keep pH at 7.0 to 7.2 for 30 days and slowly adjust up chlorine (liquid only) and cyanuric acid and to run pump 24hr/day. coupled with daily brushing, all of these steps appear to have smoothed out everything in the surface.

when you asked your pro contact, what was their response about the streaks?

simicrintz - The humidity was very high that day, probably approaching 100%. There was no rain during the day/overnight but condensation certainly could have formed and dripped down. If that caused "staining", could a low pH and continued brushing remove the stained layer?

PoolGuyNJ - No sprinkler zone that hits those areas. The streaks appeared overnight, between replaster and filling.

susa - Do you have a dark finish as well, and did you see the same type of streaking or was yours more uneven mottling?

I'll try to keep the pH hovering above 7.0 and keep brushing. What's a good level to keep the TA during this process?

Thank you for your input!

Chris

I'm a newbie, but I know when they moved the pH down in our pool when we had to brush each day, there was no pump running due to the fact that pH can harm the equipment. A note to be made. After we had brushed for a week, then they started the plumbing. Not sure if 7.0 would affect your equipment.

I would say that water condensed on the coping and dripped down the plaster then. A lower pH should help, but may not get it all out. The dripping water created hydration on those areas different from the rest of the plaster, so the cure rate changed.

Be careful going too low on pH or brushing with anything other than a nylon brush now, since the plaster is still so new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.