Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking for a little help!

We were recently hit with 34" inches of snow in a 24 hour period. The accumulation of snow on the solid safety cover of my inground pool (16X32 L-shaped) is taking its toll. The shallow end of the pool cover has been stretched to the point that the stitched edge is verticle in the pool just below the bottom of the coping. I can see clearly into the pool from this point and I'm estimating that the water level has dropped about 15"-18" in the shallow end. The pool dimensions are 3' shallow end to 8 1/2' deep end. The tension springs may have been outstretched beyond their maximum but it is difficult to see because the cold weather is not allowing the snow to melt. The surface of the pool cover seems to have dropped about 2 feet into the pool. Is it possible that the weight of the snow has displaced that much water? What should I do next? Should I start adding water to the pool to push up against the weight of the snow on the cover? BTW - we are getting another 12" of snow tonight.

I posted this for NJSOUTH98 who PM'd me. Hoping to get a fast answer for them.

John

I'd try to pull as much snow as he can off the cover. Use a pool brush on the pole, or a push broom. That much snow could have displaced quite a bit of water. I doubt he has a leak, but you never know. If the pool isnt frozen over, adding some water wouldnt hurt. The cover should float on top of the water. I hate to see those solid covers in a snow area. It's really tough when it stays cold and you cant pump water off easily.

When pulling snow off a solid safety cover, getting it off the middle area is the goal. This is where the most weight is.

Scoop nets sometimes work better than pool brushes for pulling snow off. Don't grab too much. Poles may not take the strain.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.