Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size Aqua Rite Cell should I get?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size Aqua Rite Cell should I get?

Hi guys,

I have a 15,000 gallons pool and when it was built they put in a T-15 cell. Trying to match up a cell with my pool. Don't want to oversize or under size. would like to get more life out of the new cell.

would a T-3 work or T-9?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size Aqua Rite Cell should I get?

I am not an expert but I think that oversize is better. I have a t-15 and our pool is @6k gals. I set the cell at 10-20 percent most of the time.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    I am not an expert but I think that oversize is better. I have a t-15 and our pool is @6k gals. I set the cell at 10-20 percent most of the time.
    Thanks for the reply. wow thats a small pool with a T-15. I had to set mine at 40%.

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool is 23K and I have the 40k Aquarite. Given your pool is 15K, I probably would have went with the 25K cell.
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Johnl
    My pool is 23K and I have the 40k Aquarite. Given your pool is 15K, I probably would have went with the 25K cell.
    Thanks. Yes I think I will go with he T-9 cell. seems like the perfect match.

6. Back To Top    #6

How long did you have the T-15?
    The cells are rated for a certain number of amp-hours, much like a light bulb has an expected life. I would get whichever cell gives you the lowest cost per amp-hour of life; however, I don't know how easily available that information is. I have a T-15 on my 11,500 gallon pool, and it's set at around 30% during summer. It is now going on six years old and I haven't had any indications of problems; I'm hoping to get at least a couple more years out of it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    Hi guys,

I have a 15,000 gallons pool and when it was built they put in a T-15 cell. Trying to match up a cell with my pool. Don't want to oversize or under size. would like to get more life out of the new cell.would a T-3 work or T-9?

Thanks.
    I understand that if you want to get the most life out of a cell you would have to get the biggest one. I suggest going back with a T-15. You will get less life with a T-3 or T-9. If you go with a smaller one you would have to use it at a higher setting thus decreasing the life of the cell. I hope other experts will attest to this
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    How long did you have the T-15?
    The cells are rated for a certain number of amp-hours, much like a light bulb has an expected life. I would get whichever cell gives you the lowest cost per amp-hour of life; however, I don't know how easily available that information is. I have a T-15 on my 11,500 gallon pool, and it's set at around 30% during summer. It is now going on six years old and I haven't had any indications of problems; I'm hoping to get at least a couple more years out of it.
    actually thought it was 3 yrs but actually 1 1/2. I had a pool guy for like 2-3 months but he kept dumping a gallon of acid in the pool every time he came and that was twice a week. no wonder our eyes burnt.

9. Back To Top    #9

You sure the cell is dead and just does not need to be cleaned? 1.5 yrs almost sound like it should still be under warranty
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Also, before you get a new cell OTHER THAN a T-CELL-15... Take a look at the "Firmware" version on the control unit. I don't remember the exact date, but older version control units will NOT operate with anything other than a T-CELL-15 (Won't work with a T-CELL-9 or a T-CELL-3).

The T-Cell datasheet should highlight which cell versions work with which level of FW the controller has.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondodo
    Also, before you get a new cell OTHER THAN a T-CELL-15... Take a look at the "Firmware" version on the control unit. I don't remember the exact date, but older version control units will NOT operate with anything other than a T-CELL-15 (Won't work with a T-CELL-9 or a T-CELL-3).

The T-Cell datasheet should highlight which cell versions work with which level of FW the controller has.

- Jeff
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. I see that I can select between the different cells. I can select T-9.

Would that mean a T-9 cell is compatible with my system?

12. Back To Top    #12

I see I can use a T9 cell..T-CELL-9

I have software revision level - r 1.55

13. Back To Top    #13

- Jeff
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. I see that I can select between the different cells. I can select T-9.

Without looking at your unit, I cannot say - but the guys at Goldline are very helpful and don't charge for the phone-service. Call them when you're able to stand in front of the unit: 888-921-POOL (7665).
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

14. Back To Top    #14

- Jeff

Without looking at your unit, I cannot say - but the guys at Goldline are very helpful and don't charge for the phone-service. Call them when you're able to stand in front of the unit: 888-921-POOL (7665).

Thanks I see I have software revision level - r 1.55 ..is this something that needs to be upgraded regularly? downloaded to the system? I have a laptop.