Pentair QUAD DE filter vs standard pentair DE filters

carlscan26

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'm looking at upgrading my filter as I'm adding solar to the system and would benefit from a higher flow rate. Does anyone have any new feedback on the quad de models? I'm stepping up to a 60 sq ft size.

The advantages I see with the quad are: easier cleaning, smaller footprint (my equipment pad is small), lower price $60 so not a big deal, uses less DE than other similar sized filters, supposedly needs less pump force.

Down sides are the cartridges are more expensive than screens, newer tech not as much feedback out there...

Reasons I like Quads:

1) Plumbing options include direct, push pull valve, or multiport.

2) They go bigger than 60 sq. ft. (HUGE!).

3) The cartridges are easier to clean than spiral grid assemblies. It's a similar procedure but the shape is easier.

4) Unlike paper elements, the cartridges use the same material as a grid.

Reasons I don't like them:

1) I need a bigger trash can to soak the grids.

Scott

The big advantage of the quad D.E. filters are that it is using the best of both worlds. Both cartridge filtering and diatamacheous earth (DE) are used. Yes, it is an easier filter clean too. I don't really see any disadvantages. The time is takes to break down a regular D.E. filter and hose off and clean every grid is about 30-45 minutes. The time to break down the quad and hose off is about 20 minutes but makes less of a mess because it only requires a 1/3 of the filtering media D.E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.