Spalling with my Diamond Brite

Apr 30, 2010
I did not cover by pool this winter. It's a new pool so this is the first winter. Did winterize and dropped the water just slightly below by baja shelf. During the course of this winter, as I have gone in to scoop out some debris, I have noticed that in my shelf area the diamond brite appears to be spalling like concrete would and if if run my hand accross it I notice lots of bluish debris. Any thoughts on why this is happening and what can be done?

This is a great article and really I think hits the nail on the head as far as what happens. To answer the other quesions, I don't get smurf blue hands. When i grab a handful of leaves that were settled on the shelf, I noticed blue and white speckled grit mixed in. In most cases, where I lift up the leaf or whatever is stuck to the shelf, that's where the speckles come from and an indentation is left behind.

Per my PB, on install the water was filled on a Friday night and nothing was done until Monday. On Monday, then I had the acid added and then brushed several times a day for about a week. Salt was not added for almost a month. pH was brought to the correct level after about a week. Filter was not ran for several weeks.

>>
Per my PB, on install the water was filled on a Friday night and nothing was done until Monday. On Monday, then I had the acid added and then brushed several times a day for about a week. Salt was not added for almost a month. pH was brought to the correct level after about a week. Filter was not ran for several weeks.
>>

quite a difference to my recent new pool, also DB.

1. pH was kept at 7.2 for 30 days, then 7.4 to 7.6 using Simpool PH.
2. filter and pump running for 24 hours/day
3. brushed daily
4. no salt for 60 days (about 700ppm from liquid bleach)

Sorry, don't have any numbers. Pool is winterized so I am sure the numbers aren't good plus it's also frozen so not much hope getting a sample. The area I am speaking about is exposed so I can see the damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.