norbie

Aug 21, 2007
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all :p

I installed a new loop loc mesh safety cover this fall and was informed that the snow on the cover should be removed. 1st of all what method should I use to remove the snow without damaging it and also at what point should the snow be removed? I live in south central Massachusetts where we get quite a bit of snow.
Thank you in advance
Norb :?:

What the others stated is correct, but I always decide to remove the snow as I feel it speeds up the process of opening the pool. Snow is an insulation blanket and to me it takes longer for the ice underneath to mealth when there is feet of snow covering it.

Plus its good exercise. I use a soft brisle broom. I extended the handle and I can reach half way across the pool and just pull the snow off of it. Plus its easier on the springs and everything in general. We have been getting dumped on here in ND and today is 15 below outside.

Hope this helps. Its really your choice as to what you want to do. Just be sure to leave enough room so that the springs can stretch with the weight of the snow or the springs will stretch and sometime the brass anchors can break. It happened to me once.

reindeerboy said:
What the others stated is correct, but I always decide to remove the snow as I feel it speeds up the process of opening the pool. Snow is an insulation blanket and to me it takes longer for the ice underneath to mealth when there is feet of snow covering it.

If I lived in North Dakota, I'd probably do it too to save every day of swimming season. Other places, probably not. Mine has snow and ice on it right now.

I too live in Massachusetts and there must be 3 feet of snow on my mesh cover! The cover is bowed down at least 2-3 feet around the perimeter of the pool. Do you guys think this is ok? I haven't even looked at the springs to see how far they are stretched. This is only my second year with this cover so it is brand new but I have never had this much snow on it before...tell me this is ok?

Attachments

• IMG00072-20110204-1143.jpg
    IMG00072-20110204-1143.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 208

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's ok. I have 2.5-3 feet on mine and it looks just like yours. The middle of the cover is sitting on the water (ice at this point) so the weight is being supported underneath. Its not like the entire snow pack is suspended on a trampoline.
I do look out my back window every morning and think OMG! I havent seen this much snow on the ground in Massachusetts since 1996. Beleive it or not, it should be gone by end of march, or before. A warm week into the 40's will go a long way toward getting rid of it. Opening day at Fenway is April 8th. My bet is its gone by then.

bk406 said:
It's ok. I have 2.5-3 feet on mine and it looks just like yours. The middle of the cover is sitting on the water (ice at this point) so the weight is being supported underneath. Its not like the entire snow pack is suspended on a trampoline.
I do look out my back window every morning and think OMG! I havent seen this much snow on the ground in Massachusetts since 1996. Beleive it or not, it should be gone by end of march, or before. A warm week into the 40's will go a long way toward getting rid of it. Opening day at Fenway is April 8th. My bet is its gone by then.

Mine is really bad also in NY. This is a LOT of snow. :hammer:

I usually open my pool early April cause I like to start using the spa and get things cleaned up... So this mess better melt soon. Right now it looks like a frozen block of ice.

Yea, i usually open patriots day or the weekend before. This year i'm putting in a propane heater. I figured to open as soon as I could safely do it so I could get the heater plumbed and get the propane guys out and set the tanks. I'm still shooting for mid april; we'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.