Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning snow off a loop loc mesh cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning snow off a loop loc mesh cover

Hello all :P

I installed a new loop loc mesh safety cover this fall and was informed that the snow on the cover should be removed. 1st of all what method should I use to remove the snow without damaging it and also at what point should the snow be removed? I live in south central Massachusetts where we get quite a bit of snow.
    Thank you in advance
    Norb
    Norbert
    23,000 Gallons; 16 X 32 w/ 4 X 8 Steps; Vinyl Liner; Hayward EC65A DE Filter; Hayward 2607X10 1 HP Pump; Hayward CL200 In-Line Chlorinator;
    Bromine; LOOP-LOC Winter Mesh Safety Cover; Aquabot Supreme Automatic Robotic Cleaner;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning snow off a loop loc mesh cover

Assuming the water is no more than 18" under the deck level and assuming you left play in the springs, no need. The mesh stretches, the springs stretch, and snow floats.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Norbie. I live in south worcester county, have a mesh loop loc and never remove snow.
    What Scott said
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

What the others stated is correct, but I always decide to remove the snow as I feel it speeds up the process of opening the pool. Snow is an insulation blanket and to me it takes longer for the ice underneath to mealth when there is feet of snow covering it.

Plus its good exercise. I use a soft brisle broom. I extended the handle and I can reach half way across the pool and just pull the snow off of it. Plus its easier on the springs and everything in general. We have been getting dumped on here in ND and today is 15 below outside.

Hope this helps. Its really your choice as to what you want to do. Just be sure to leave enough room so that the springs can stretch with the weight of the snow or the springs will stretch and sometime the brass anchors can break. It happened to me once.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

5. Back To Top    #5

Reindeerboy,

We really dont get that much snow in Worcester county to be a concern to insulate the pool and delay opening. You guys get way more snow and it last much longer where you are. We got 18 inches last week and it was gone in 4-5 days.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by reindeerboy
    What the others stated is correct, but I always decide to remove the snow as I feel it speeds up the process of opening the pool. Snow is an insulation blanket and to me it takes longer for the ice underneath to mealth when there is feet of snow covering it.
    If I lived in North Dakota, I'd probably do it too to save every day of swimming season. Other places, probably not. Mine has snow and ice on it right now.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I just leave it alone. The risk of damaging the cover with removal attempts far outweighs any perceived advantages of removing it.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

8. Back To Top    #8

This is what my springs and cover currently look like.
    Just a side note we are due for 12 to 18 inches of snow tonight
    Norbert
    23,000 Gallons; 16 X 32 w/ 4 X 8 Steps; Vinyl Liner; Hayward EC65A DE Filter; Hayward 2607X10 1 HP Pump; Hayward CL200 In-Line Chlorinator;
    Bromine; LOOP-LOC Winter Mesh Safety Cover; Aquabot Supreme Automatic Robotic Cleaner;

9. Back To Top    #9

That looks just fine. No worries there.

10. Back To Top    #10

I too live in Massachusetts and there must be 3 feet of snow on my mesh cover! The cover is bowed down at least 2-3 feet around the perimeter of the pool. Do you guys think this is ok? I haven't even looked at the springs to see how far they are stretched. This is only my second year with this cover so it is brand new but I have never had this much snow on it before...tell me this is ok?
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

It's fine. I would say it's likely frozen in place too!

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

12. Back To Top    #12

It's ok. I have 2.5-3 feet on mine and it looks just like yours. The middle of the cover is sitting on the water (ice at this point) so the weight is being supported underneath. Its not like the entire snow pack is suspended on a trampoline.
    I do look out my back window every morning and think OMG! I havent seen this much snow on the ground in Massachusetts since 1996. Beleive it or not, it should be gone by end of march, or before. A warm week into the 40's will go a long way toward getting rid of it. Opening day at Fenway is April 8th. My bet is its gone by then.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    It's ok. I have 2.5-3 feet on mine and it looks just like yours. The middle of the cover is sitting on the water (ice at this point) so the weight is being supported underneath. Its not like the entire snow pack is suspended on a trampoline.
    I do look out my back window every morning and think OMG! I havent seen this much snow on the ground in Massachusetts since 1996. Beleive it or not, it should be gone by end of march, or before. A warm week into the 40's will go a long way toward getting rid of it. Opening day at Fenway is April 8th. My bet is its gone by then.
    Mine is really bad also in NY. This is a LOT of snow.

I usually open my pool early April cause I like to start using the spa and get things cleaned up... So this mess better melt soon. Right now it looks like a frozen block of ice.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Yea, i usually open patriots day or the weekend before. This year i'm putting in a propane heater. I figured to open as soon as I could safely do it so I could get the heater plumbed and get the propane guys out and set the tanks. I'm still shooting for mid april; we'll see.