Return valve positioning

Zazoh

Dec 26, 2010
Mico, TX
Is it necessary to have the return valves churn the surface, or can effective circulation be achieved with having the water directed more below the surface.

I ask for two reasons.
1. Aesthetics.
2. Acid use, I have a waterfall, occasional use, and a spa spillover, so I am introducing air nearly everywhere and adding about a pint of acid a day, new pool too so I know new plaster uses more acid. Just thinking I don't need this extra water churn if not critical for circulation.

I generally try to position the jets so that a very small disturbance is visible on the surface, but most of the jet is underwater. The more surface motion you have, the more of the jet that is being "wasted" & not circulating the water as effectively. I prefer to have a small disturbance just for a visual reference that the jet is working & what direction it's sending the water.

We keep our returns aimed straight out horizontally. They don't
break the surface at all. That water moves! The skimmers
calmly and effectively gobble everything up; the water
surface is kept clean even though dozens of leaves per hour
fall into our pool in the summer. (crazy tulip poplar)

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.