Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return valve positioning

1. Back To Top    #1

Return valve positioning

Is it necessary to have the return valves churn the surface, or can effective circulation be achieved with having the water directed more below the surface.

I ask for two reasons.
    1. Aesthetics.
    2. Acid use, I have a waterfall, occasional use, and a spa spillover, so I am introducing air nearly everywhere and adding about a pint of acid a day, new pool too so I know new plaster uses more acid. Just thinking I don't need this extra water churn if not critical for circulation.
    13'000 gal - cartridge - IG - plaster - UltraPure ozone

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Return valve positioning

Aiming the returns at the surface gives you better skimmer action, but it's not necessary.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I generally try to position the jets so that a very small disturbance is visible on the surface, but most of the jet is underwater. The more surface motion you have, the more of the jet that is being "wasted" & not circulating the water as effectively. I prefer to have a small disturbance just for a visual reference that the jet is working & what direction it's sending the water.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice guys. The jets have been adjusted. I'll keep any eye on the ability of the skimmer to capture the leaves.
    13'000 gal - cartridge - IG - plaster - UltraPure ozone

5. Back To Top    #5
    The Triangle, NC

We keep our returns aimed straight out horizontally. They don't
    break the surface at all. That water moves! The skimmers
    calmly and effectively gobble everything up; the water
    surface is kept clean even though dozens of leaves per hour
    fall into our pool in the summer. (crazy tulip poplar)

25,000 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 1.5hp single-speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.