What do you think of this setup?

3des

Nov 23, 2010
DFW
Hey all, new pool owner and luckily found TFP only a month in. Still going to pool school but so far I really like the philosophies and methods practiced here. The pool store has only gotten me for a bag of DE and a box of Balance 100. ;)

I bought a home with a 12 year old gunnite/plaster IG 18k gallon pool with builtin spa. 2 skimmers, 2 pool drains, 2 spa drains, Polaris 360, 2" pipes, jandy's, Purex 4000 DE filter, Purex whisperflo 2hp pump (220v), pool frog, 3" tab auto-chlorinator, and a BIG heater on a concrete pad. The filter is leaking out the backwash line so I'm going to make some changes.

Here's what I'm looking at doing:

-Pentair CCP420 filter (should I go 520?)
-Pentair IC40 SWG
-Delete Pool frog
-Pentair SVRS pump

Some concerns are that the IC40 is rated up to 40k gallons but I've seen people on here with under chlorination problems with the smaller IC20's. Stick with the 40 or drop down to the 20? The SVRS pump is impressive, expensive, and has some cool bells/whistles but at 3HP, is this thing overkill for my application? I know you can throttle it way down but what are your thoughts? Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Stick with the IC-40 so you have both some extra capacity and because it will normally be turned down in terms of production, the reduced On time and reversing needs will extend the cell's life.

While the IntelliFlow can run at a 3 HP rate, it will be turned down substantially. Given the age of the pool, I seriously doubt you would want run it at full speed due to plumbing restraints as it would create a significant head loss, not to mention the wasted power consumption. Normally, it's turned way down to conserve energy. A couple of 15 minute medium speed cycles to increase flow makes the skimmers work usually is a good idea.

With cartridge filters, bigger is almost always better.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.