Tablet based CYA test kit

dfeist

Jan 6, 2011
Does anyone know anything about tablet-based CYA test kits available in the US as an alternative to using the Taylor/TF-100 reagent?

I want to ship a couple of test products to Argentina and the disadvantage of the Taylor CYA test is the size/weight of the reagent needed. i was considering the TF-50 kit but the 2oz provided it says is only enough for 3 tests and i'd prefer not to be shipping 8oz bottles of liquid.

I found this: "Lamotte Cyanuric Acid Test Kit" (see http://www.lamotte.com/pool_spa_water/p ... eries.html) which seems to be a lot more compact and provides tablets for 50 tests.

Would this provide more accurate results than a test strip for CYA? Where might I be able to order one of these from?

If I could get hold of one of these then i would probably get one of these plus a FAS/DPD kit and rely on some test strips i have for getting an idea of total alkalinity. (I already have simple OTO/pH kit)

thanks
Daniel

I have used the LaMotte tablet kit and for the CYA test it is reasonably close to the Taylor kit. It operates a little differently in that you fill a tube completely with the mixed solution and then slide an inner tube that has the black dot up and down to get a reading. The advantage is that you can go back and forth to zero in on a reading without having to remove and re-add the mixed solution. The disadvantage is that this inner tube and black dot are pretty small.

The Palintest kit also uses tablets.

Anyway, any of these kits will be far better than the test strips you are using. You should still try and get some sort of FAS-DPD kit for the chlorine part of the test. There isn't a good substitute for that (with enough accuracy for overnight chlorine drop tests nor for measuring low CC levels).

chem geek said:
Anyway, any of these kits will be far better than the test strips you are using. You should still try and get some sort of FAS-DPD kit for the chlorine part of the test. There isn't a good substitute for that (with enough accuracy for overnight chlorine drop tests nor for measuring low CC levels).

Any idea where i could get one of these kits via mail-order? ( Either make as long as it is manual, include the test-tube etc. and does not require a colorQ type device)

Yes, the plan was to get a tablet based test kit for CYA and a drop-based FAS-DPD kit for chlorine (e.g. http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html)

Are any other drop-based tests important enough to warrant shipping so far? Otherwise I'd use test strips (e.g. aquacheck silver) for total alkalinity and hardness, these doesn't need to be precise anyway do they?,

Dan

The test strips are completely useless for hardness because they can only test for Total Hardness that includes magnesium as well as calcium, but it is Calcium Hardness (CH) that determines whether it is too high and can produce scale or whether it is too low and can dissolve plaster. See this post (that I referred to earlier in another thread you created) where I compare test strips to drop-based kits. There's no comparison. Even for items that get tested, such as TA, their accuracy is very questionable and the resolution not good enough to properly protect plaster pools. If you have a vinyl pool, then perhaps you'll be OK without a proper CH test and with an approximate TA test, but if I were you I wouldn't chance it.

So taking that into account, and not really wanting to ship a TF-100 i'm best trying to get the TF-50 shipped and if possible getting some cya tablets as I mentioned to allow me to give to do more that 3 CYA tests just in case I need to.

Where did you get the Lamotte cyanuric acid kit from? or where else might i be able to get one?

thanks!
Dan

LaMotte sent me the kit directly (it was a newer kit where they wanted some feedback). You could try E-mailing LaMotte directly to see what they suggest (the website was down when I tried to look at it now). I don't know if they offer an individual CYA test or if it only comes with their kits.

I got a response from Lamotte. Sharing here in case anyone else is interested in a slightly less precise alternative to taylor/tf-100 reagent for testing CYA kit that doesn't require a 8oz bottles of liquid reagent per 15 tests, perhaps people like me outside of the US.

"You can check with local pool stores. If unable to locate, you can order direct from LaMotte. Kit #6838 is currently $25.00 plus $15.00 shipping/handling fee. Please contact customer services with ordering information at 1-800-344-3100, then press 1."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.