Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hey guys,newbi here.

1. Back To Top    #1

hey guys,newbi here.

Question about backfill on a filled cement block wall ig pool build. Would it be ok to use the dirt dug out to backfill with. Pavers won't be insatalled till a year later thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: hey guys,newbi here.

I wouldn't even consider it. I know it's done some places, but it's going to settle and keep settling for years. Use fill stone and put the pavers in right away. You'll never keep the pool clean with dirt around it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

You should back fill with 3/4 inch stone up to a couple feet from the top. Then, use a good grade of processed gravel to finish it off. Pure stone will not compact well enough to put pavers or even concrete on top. The processed material will have enough compaction that it wont shift. The stone will never get solid enough to hold pavers, even on a 4 inch bed of sand or stone dust.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum

Reluctantly, I must agree with JohnT and bk406. I absolutelyhated the expense of the extra gravel to back-fill but I bit the bullet (also a concrete block wall, incidentally) and did it. Five years later I have yet to have a crack in over 2000 sq. ft. of decking.

However, I will say that the truest answer is that "It depends". The freezing level in your area is important. Perhaps even more so is the nature of your soil. Given a sandy soil in a Southern state, I believe it may compact safely in 2-3 months for pavers.

A clay soil in Canada, however, may never stop moving and settling completely because of the frost heave.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School