hey guys,newbi here.

I wouldn't even consider it. I know it's done some places, but it's going to settle and keep settling for years. Use fill stone and put the pavers in right away. You'll never keep the pool clean with dirt around it.

You should back fill with 3/4 inch stone up to a couple feet from the top. Then, use a good grade of processed gravel to finish it off. Pure stone will not compact well enough to put pavers or even concrete on top. The processed material will have enough compaction that it wont shift. The stone will never get solid enough to hold pavers, even on a 4 inch bed of sand or stone dust.

Welcome to the forum :lol:

Reluctantly, I must agree with JohnT and bk406. I absolutelyhated the expense of the extra gravel to back-fill but I bit the bullet (also a concrete block wall, incidentally) and did it. Five years later I have yet to have a crack in over 2000 sq. ft. of decking.

However, I will say that the truest answer is that "It depends". The freezing level in your area is important. Perhaps even more so is the nature of your soil. Given a sandy soil in a Southern state, I believe it may compact safely in 2-3 months for pavers.

A clay soil in Canada, however, may never stop moving and settling completely because of the frost heave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.