Diving Board opinions wanted

iPhone

Dec 14, 2010
Hope this is the correct area for this question (if not please move it).

I have searched the Forum for a few hours without finding what I am looking for so here goes.

One of our pools is over 30 years old. It is a vinyl IG with a real deep end. It used to have a slide and a diving board. The pervious owner said that they were both removed before they bought it to make it easier to sell and reduce HO insurance. The board and base are in the pool shed though. The treads were not backed out but cut off with a torch and can't be reused.

So here is what I am looking for opinions on. Should I get some Redheads and more the location over a few inches or cut concrete and put new hardware in a new pour? Or get a large rock or build an olympic like podium?

Or other ideas or possibilities? I have been watching the slideshow and that is were the idea of a boulder or podium came from.

My opinion is don't do it! Chances are the floor does not match the diving board safety envelope, being built as long ago as you say it was. If you install the board and someone gets hurt, you will be held responsible.

New pools have a very defined slope and gradient that must be adhered to. The pool industry was sued years back for someone adding a diving board to a pool that was not built for one, which is what brought this floor detail about. While your pool may have had a board once, that doesn't mean it is safe.

I'm not an alarmist, and I believe pools should be fun. I've just seen what happens when an accident occurs and people start pointing fingers. I'm afraid you would lose if this happened to you.

I would have to agree with Bruce as well. Re-installing the diving board is a bad idea and can lead to all sorts of liability problems. Cutting out a section of your concrete deck and cementing a rock into would look good. Just make sure to get a qualified contractor to do the job. The other big question is how deep is your pool? Be sure it is an ample depth based on your city code.

Good advice. Do you guys happen to know what the required measurements are for safely using a diving board? I have a fairly deep pool but it is vinyl so I have a straight down wall to a point that then angles to the flat bottom.

Also on the vain of improvement/upgrades, are their any improvements or features I should think about adding next time I replace the liner? Our pool is just a 20 by 40 IG vinyl with off to the side walk in steps, one floor drain, one side weir, three returns, and a booster pump line (no longer using pressure side cleaner because of Dolphin).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.