Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator off - Low Temp message

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinator off - Low Temp message

On my SWCG (SmartControl PL-P-4-X288) I am getting the message "Chlorinator Off Low Temperature", while the unit is running during the day. I've been running Super Chlorinate periodically to keep my FC correct. Is there any way to adjust the controller to generate chlorine during the normal pump run times? I've scanned the manual but have been unable to find anything.

Thanks
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinator off - Low Temp message

That message usualy means that the water is too cold for the SWCG to operate. What's the water temp?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

What bk406 said.

What you can do once the water gets too cold for the SWCG cell to function is simply manually chlorinate with bleach until the water warms up again in the spring.

4. Back To Top    #4

The cell is very inefficient when the water is cold, which is why many SWGs shut down at cold temperatures. Cold water shouldn't need much chlorine, so manual dosing is much easier than it is during the summer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Water temp currently is 46 degrees. Unusually cold weather here the last 2 weeks. Neglected to check water chemistry for a week or so during the holidays and when I did there was no chlorine. The pool was installed in August, so this is all new territory for me. So manual dosing would be wiser than to Super Chlorinate as needed? Pool is a Viking Laguna (14K). How much bleach would you suggest to begin with?
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

6. Back To Top    #6

www.thepoolcalculator.com

Depends on where you want your FC, but you could pour a gallon in until you figure things out!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by salp
    http://www.thepoolcalculator.com

Depends on where you want your FC, but you could pour a gallon in until you figure things out!
    And if you dump a gallon in there, it may well persist in the water for several weeks depending on how cold it gets there. I never close and typically add about a gallon a month during the coldest part of winter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Very Similar Issue with my pool,
    One day the Sensor (Jandy Aquapure) was reading normally, the next day I only get a temp. reading. Is that normal for cold weather?
    The water temperature is 41*
    I knew I was low on salt from the previous reading(s) so I added more. Today I cleaned the sensor and grids on the Aquapure Chlorine Generator.
    They were both clean enough to eat off. Zero build up on the sensor or plates.
    Am I correct in reading that the unit shuts itself down when it's too cold? If so, then great! Liquid chlorine until the weather warms us is easy, and I don't have to buy a new sensor.

If I am wrong about the temp. and sensor functions please enlighten me.

Thank you all on this forum for your expert assistance.
    Ron

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep. SWCG will not operate at low water temps. Liquid chlorine is the ticket until spring.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

BK406,
    Thank you for your prompt response. Noted about liquid Chlorine in the winter. No kidding, I was loosing sleep about having to buy a new SWCG. How are us common folk to know? (rhetorical)
    Thanks,
    Ron

11. Back To Top    #11

Not everyone may be able to get away with this but when the water temp drops to where the SWG shuts off, I don't bother adding chlorine manually because algae doesn't grow very well below 50 degrees plus the chlorine that the SWG did produce before the water temp dropped will usually carry over several days if not a week or two until the SWG kicks back on again. This is my fifth winter operating this way and I never had a algae bloom.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Your model of chlorine generator shuts off at 55 degrees I believe. The reason for it is to protect the cell. Apparently cold water production of chlorine gas can be damaging to the metal located inside of the cell.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the great info everyone.

14. Back To Top    #14

it's not cold water production itself, but the fact that the conductivity drops and it requires cell to work much harder to produce chlorine

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Strannik
    it's not cold water production itself, but the fact that the conductivity drops and it requires cell to work much harder to produce chlorine
    In your opinion, if one was to rely on Super Chlorinating their pool to maintain FC levels during the winter, would that practice shorten the life of the cell? Hypothetical question only. I plan on using bleach as needed, but your post made me curious about cell life.

Thanks again guys. I'm so glad I found this site.

16. Back To Top    #16

it would, but the question is by how much. might be insignificant, might quite significant.
    it would highly depend on power supply design and quality of the cell