Jongig's New BBQ-Island

jongig

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 27, 2010
I am in the initial stages of building an outdoor grill area. I want a grill, sink, and refrigerator. I’ve attached a picture of the area although I’ve not put together a diagram of the BBQ-Island yet. We finished the pool and the area except the deck and island grill.

I have some basic questions first. I want a refrigerator, although I guess a built in cooler would be okay. We don’t entertain that often so using an outdoor refrigerator all the time does not seem really wise. Can the refrigerator be turned on for a few days when it will be used and then left off most of the time? In the purchase of a refrigerator I see huge swings in cost but I see no real reason and so I lean toward the least costly, is this wise? I’ve decided on a Vermont Casting 30-inch grill, mostly because the retailer is local and they are very good with service. The island will start from the house on the left. First will be a small sink and then about 24 inches of counter before the grill. After the grill will be another 24 inches of counter space which will hold all the cooked food and condiments. On the front below the sink will be storage and then right of that will be the refrigerator and then double doors under the grill. I’ve not decided what to do to the right of the grill but either storage or built in garbage can. My wife thinks the garbage can is a bad idea.

It looks like the BBQ-Island will be about 8-9 feet in length.

Thanks for your time.

John

Attachments

• PoolProject_NoAddress_1024.jpg
    PoolProject_NoAddress_1024.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 765
Welcome to TFP!
I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, but I have an island bigger than yours, and I often think it's too small. I would make it larger if you can swing it; it looks like you've got the space. Good luck and keep us updated!

Melt In The Sun said:
Welcome to TFP!
I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, but I have an island bigger than yours, and I often think it's too small. I would make it larger if you can swing it; it looks like you've got the space. Good luck and keep us updated!

I have 14 feet so yes I do have the room but where would you add and is it counter space you're referring to? I could come out 2 feet from the house and then start with the sink, 2 feet and then the grill and then 3 feet of open counter. This would make the island 11 feet long leaving 3 feet to the outer edge of the deck.

On a note of construction. I guess I'll use 25 gauge steel framing that I can get from HD. They don't have much of a selection of steel.

I am also building the deck to incorporate the island into it and am going to bring the deck railing to the island but I won't have railing behind it. I've not seen this done before. This BBQ-island will be at the very edge of the deck. On the backside of the BBQ-island I will use the cultured stone and I’d like to continue the cultured stone to the ground and around the two sides of the deck. This will give it more of a patio look I believe. The deck is about 22 inches from the ground.

John

My next question with regards to cultured stone. I've seen some doors look flush with the stone front and some that look recessed. Is there a preference or just whatever one like’s. I like the flush look so I guess I’ll double up on the board around the flange of the doors. Is this the best way to do this?

John

Attachments

• Doors_Flush.jpg
    Doors_Flush.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 713
  • Doors_Not_Flush.jpg
    Doors_Not_Flush.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 713
  • Doors_Unfinished.jpg
    Doors_Unfinished.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 714
Welcome to TFP, personally I think that you should put in in the center of the raised deck. That way you can have a bar where guests can sit and socialize while you are cooking, possibly put a TV on your house wall and have both you and your guests watch football while your are cooking, enjoying a view of the pool and the football games at the same time. :cheers:

Brentr said:
Welcome to TFP, personally I think that you should put in in the center of the raised deck. That way you can have a bar where guests can sit and socialize while you are cooking, possibly put a TV on your house wall and have both you and your guests watch football while your are cooking, enjoying a view of the pool and the football games at the same time. :cheers:

Not a bad idea, thanks. I will move it and see what my wife and I think.

I have another question. I purchased a 30 inch Vermont Castings grill and I didn't plan on adding a burner because my wife didn't say she wanted it but last night she mentioned she would like one. It seems like it would be nice to have two burners but the Vermont Casting built-in is only a single burner. Does it matter much if you add a different two burner unit? Some pictures I see look nice with the knobs being the same but others are not the same anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.