Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electrical Problem at Pool Equip pad

1. Back To Top    #1

Electrical Problem at Pool Equip pad

This past summer, I replaced the plug on my pool cover pump and it had been working just fine until recently. I noticed the GFI was tripped, but whenever I attempted to plug the pool cover pump back into the outlet, it would trip again. I opened the plug and everything inside was still attached, so don't know what my problem may be. I am NOT an electrician, just a retired Grammy living by herself and willing to take on most problems. Any suggestions?
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electrical Problem at Pool Equip pad

Can you plug another appliance or light into the outlet without it tripping? If yes, then the pump or float siwtch is bad and a replacement is needed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you plug anything else into the GFI outlet to test it? You need to figure out if the plug on the pump is faulty, or if the outlet itself is bad. You should be able to plug something else into the GFI outlet. If it works, the issue is most likely with the pump plug.

EDIT: Bama types faster than me
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I generally find that when I have a GFI problem, the GFI outlet is the culprit most (but not all) of the time - IME, I don't find them reliable at all.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

5. Back To Top    #5

The warm-up we had last weekend followed by a cool-down caused quite a bit of condensation. If another device works in your outlet, try drying the plug with a hair dryer. It only takes a tiny bit of moisture inside the plug to cause the GFCI to trip.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Most likely, if the GFCI is tripping, it's because it is doing it's job, and trying to save lives. You have an electrical 'leak' to ground somewhere.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The most likely scenario is because your pool cover pump is bad and needs to be replaced. The GFI is tripping for a reason. It could be that the cord attached to the pump is not sealing and allowing water to flood the electrical part of the pump, there by causing the GFI to trip.