Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Generator Dead, should I replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Generator Dead, should I replace?

My Pool Pilot generator power supply has died and I'm not sure I should replace it. While the system worked great for five years, I'm somewhat amazed at how easy the pool has been to take care of by just adding bleach. It sure seems like the water balance stays much more consistent with the generator off (pH and alkalinity much more stable).

I did replace the cell last year with a generic cell, so I'm not sure if that could have contributed to the power supply failure. The generator did seem to die conicident with thunderstorm we had back in November.

I do have a combined ozone/salt generator (Claripure). If I don't use the salt system, should I also bypass the ozone generator?

Thanks.
    Tampa, Florida

17,000 gallon IG pool, DE FIlter, pebble finish, 1 1/2 hp, 8 4x10 solar panels, screen cage, combined ozone/SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Generator Dead, should I replace?

That's strictly a personal choice. If you're happy with manual dosing the pool then you'll save a few bucks by not buying a replacement unit but it's real close in cost over the long haul.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Using a salt-chlorine generator is nice if you want to have one less chemical to add to the pool. Considering that a two gallon pack of chlorine at Home Depot is $12, the payoff happens pretty quickly. But yes, it is true that if you have the system in place, the pH tends to be a lot higher. That is because the chlorine gas produced from the cell has a high pH, also resulting in a alkalinity level that bounces around a lot. Having an ozone generator as well makes your pool sanitize the water that much better.

4. Back To Top    #4

you can go without it for a few months and then see how you feel about not having SWCG (i'd probably wait until warm weather before making a decision)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback, especially the warmer weather comment. I didn't consider the fact the chlorine demand is pretty low right now.

Pat
    Tampa, Florida

17,000 gallon IG pool, DE FIlter, pebble finish, 1 1/2 hp, 8 4x10 solar panels, screen cage, combined ozone/SWG.