"Plexiglass" or clear pool fence - anyone done this?

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
Hi all - getting close to moving fwd with our pool build this spring, and the concept of a pool fence has been bugging me since we started looking at pool designs a few years (!) ago...

I want to see the pool...and not through a fence, but yet a fence is required. Why not use plexiglass or some other type of clear shatter-proof/resistant material? Can I find 4 x ? foot panels, with a ~foot of wire at the bottom to make it the minimum of 5 foot in height.

This will get expensive perhaps. I likely would have to find a direct supplier somewhere. If I go through HD, the panels might be something like: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =202038069

Worries: Cost of course, but also "yellowing" from the sun and perhaps even breakage if someone really pushes against them or slams against them accidentally, and then of course cuts themselves. I would likely have a fence builder put an iron frame around each piece and connect them to iron posts. Probably do four of the 96 inch panels..again, costly!

thoughts here? Anyone done this or have other suggestions of what to use?

Thanks!

We have a typical block wall around our yard. The pool fence would only be to isolate the pool from the yard and per city code since we have a five year old child. I like the idea of the plexiglass as I think any kind of slats - wood, aluminum, metal, etc. - creates a vision barrier to a beautiful pool. I've seen some aluminum that was very thin slats, and we probably will go with that if the plexi is too costly or some other issue comes up.

I wouldn't even try.

The only clear material that's going to be strong enough is Polycarbonate, and it would be insanely expensive. Plexiglass will get brittle and yellow, and will likely break at the mounting holes in time. And you'd still have posts every 8 or 10 feet. Plus, you'd have to clean it often lest you'd be looking through dust and dried splashout. And if you get high winds - lookout!

Chainlink fence with a dark, flat finish won't really affect your view. Or some thin rails, close enough together to keep a kid's head out. Many cars now have sunscreens that are nothing more than fine mesh that's flat black on the inside. You see what's behind you just fine in the mirror, yet 75% of the light is blocked.

I think it would be awesome if you could find another material. The sun out here would trash plexiglass in year or so maybe even sooner. Not to mention it scratches really easy. Looking through scratched plexiglass sucks.
Chainlink is considered climbable. Code out here states it has to be a non-climbable material fyi.

Why not use a glass fence? In Australia a pool fence is essential and glass is commonly used. Our typical height is 4 rather than 5 foot high. The thickness of the glass is dependent on the method used to support the glass. Framed glass panels are typically 8 or 10mm thick whereas a frameless glass supported by brackets is 12mm thick. Installed costs for frameless in Oz is in the order of $200 per linear foot.

mcoccia said:
Why not use a glass fence? In Australia a pool fence is essential and glass is commonly used. Our typical height is 4 rather than 5 foot high. The thickness of the glass is dependent on the method used to support the glass. Framed glass panels are typically 8 or 10mm thick whereas a frameless glass supported by brackets is 12mm thick. Installed costs for frameless in Oz is in the order of $200 per linear foot.

Ouch. $200 per linear foot is a bit much....

but I like that at least someone has done this...Thanks!

Found this concept of a glass pool fence: http://www.dutoit-protect.com/en/produc ... lass-fence
The cost to ship would make it outrageously expensive...

RawhideKid said:
mcoccia said:

Ouch. $200 per linear foot is a bit much....

but I like that at least someone has done this...Thanks!

Found this concept of a glass pool fence: http://www.dutoit-protect.com/en/produc ... lass-fence
The cost to ship would make it outrageously expensive...

Hi. That looks similar to what we use in Australia.

One issue is that these panels are 4 foot high and not the five foot.

I used about 30 foot of glass fence between the pool and the house and another 200 foot of much cheaper aluminum fencing on the remaining sides. All up I spent 14K on fencing. The glass is expensive but does provide an uninterrupted view of the pool. An added bonus of the glass is that it cuts down on the noise from the pool area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
think I found a local dealer that does glass pool fences: http://www.truviewfencing.com/default.html

Just out of curiosity (kills the cat), I think I'll see what the cost might be....

Agree about likely yellowing of plexiglass. Not sure how it would get scratched, but I suppose that is inevitable. I worry about the glass getting dirty, but I still think it would be more visually appealing than anything else.

Shane1 said:
Trueview seems to be a great option. Keep us updated.
Tried to email them from their site - got error. Tried to call both numbers on their site. No answer and strange vm on other. Not going with these guys.

I'll do a bit more research, but I reviewed some of the photo galleries of the mesh type, and it's amazing how well you can see through them. I'll keep investigating some options here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.