Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: "Plexiglass" or clear pool fence - anyone done this?

"Plexiglass" or clear pool fence - anyone done this?

Hi all - getting close to moving fwd with our pool build this spring, and the concept of a pool fence has been bugging me since we started looking at pool designs a few years (!) ago...

I want to see the pool...and not through a fence, but yet a fence is required. Why not use plexiglass or some other type of clear shatter-proof/resistant material? Can I find 4 x ? foot panels, with a ~foot of wire at the bottom to make it the minimum of 5 foot in height.

This will get expensive perhaps. I likely would have to find a direct supplier somewhere. If I go through HD, the panels might be something like: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =202038069

Worries: Cost of course, but also "yellowing" from the sun and perhaps even breakage if someone really pushes against them or slams against them accidentally, and then of course cuts themselves. I would likely have a fence builder put an iron frame around each piece and connect them to iron posts. Probably do four of the 96 inch panels..again, costly!

thoughts here? Anyone done this or have other suggestions of what to use?

Thanks!
    RawhideKid
    Phoenix, AZ (Goodyear actually)
    Pool finally complete!!! IG, 40,635 gallons w/2080 gallon spa with 16 jets. Pool is 40x21 ft with 10 ft deep end; two baja steps
    Pentair Cartridge filter - 520 SQ. PebbleSheen interior. 2 Pentair VS pumps. Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    4 deck jets, 2 bubblers, fake rock grotto/waterfall with wet steps. 3 surrounding half-pergola's with misters in future
    Sunken covered ramada with cabinets, fridge, and wood fireplace. (soon to have big screen TV)
    Basically, 14 years of planning on how to survive this blistering AZ summer!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!

Re: "Plexiglass" or clear pool fence - anyone done this?

Do you want to fence just aound the pool or around your property? If it were me, I'd use ornamental aluminum. I'll be really blunt and say any kind of plexi glass like you describe would look pretty bad, imo.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

We have a typical block wall around our yard. The pool fence would only be to isolate the pool from the yard and per city code since we have a five year old child. I like the idea of the plexiglass as I think any kind of slats - wood, aluminum, metal, etc. - creates a vision barrier to a beautiful pool. I've seen some aluminum that was very thin slats, and we probably will go with that if the plexi is too costly or some other issue comes up.
    RawhideKid
    Pool finally complete!!! IG, 40,635 gallons w/2080 gallon spa with 16 jets. Pool is 40x21 ft with 10 ft deep end; two baja steps
    Pentair Cartridge filter - 520 SQ. PebbleSheen interior. 2 Pentair VS pumps. Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    4 deck jets, 2 bubblers, fake rock grotto/waterfall with wet steps. 3 surrounding half-pergola's with misters in future
    Sunken covered ramada with cabinets, fridge, and wood fireplace. (soon to have big screen TV)
    Basically, 14 years of planning on how to survive this blistering AZ summer!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!

I'd look at the aluminum again. It looks really nice. I still think a 5 foot wall of plexi around the pool would look like a hockey rink and ruin the asthetics of your pool and yard.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

I wouldn't even try.

The only clear material that's going to be strong enough is Polycarbonate, and it would be insanely expensive. Plexiglass will get brittle and yellow, and will likely break at the mounting holes in time. And you'd still have posts every 8 or 10 feet. Plus, you'd have to clean it often lest you'd be looking through dust and dried splashout. And if you get high winds - lookout!

Chainlink fence with a dark, flat finish won't really affect your view. Or some thin rails, close enough together to keep a kid's head out. Many cars now have sunscreens that are nothing more than fine mesh that's flat black on the inside. You see what's behind you just fine in the mirror, yet 75% of the light is blocked.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

I think it would be awesome if you could find another material. The sun out here would trash plexiglass in year or so maybe even sooner. Not to mention it scratches really easy. Looking through scratched plexiglass sucks.
    Chainlink is considered climbable. Code out here states it has to be a non-climbable material fyi.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

Why not use a glass fence? In Australia a pool fence is essential and glass is commonly used. Our typical height is 4 rather than 5 foot high. The thickness of the glass is dependent on the method used to support the glass. Framed glass panels are typically 8 or 10mm thick whereas a frameless glass supported by brackets is 12mm thick. Installed costs for frameless in Oz is in the order of $200 per linear foot.
    22K 18x36 in ground concrete pool. Intelliflo VF, Hayward cartridge filter, Zodiac Tri salt chlorinator with pH control, Rola Chem oRP chlorine dosing. Polaris power stream and deck jets with separate Intelliflo VS. Heattseeker solar heating. Jandy Aqualink.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    Chainlink is considered climbable.
    Just an FYI. It's not if you use the mini mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoccia
    Why not use a glass fence? In Australia a pool fence is essential and glass is commonly used. Our typical height is 4 rather than 5 foot high. The thickness of the glass is dependent on the method used to support the glass. Framed glass panels are typically 8 or 10mm thick whereas a frameless glass supported by brackets is 12mm thick. Installed costs for frameless in Oz is in the order of $200 per linear foot.
    Ouch. $200 per linear foot is a bit much....

but I like that at least someone has done this...Thanks!

Found this concept of a glass pool fence: http://www.dutoit-protect.com/en/produc ... lass-fence
    The cost to ship would make it outrageously expensive...
    RawhideKid

Quote Originally Posted by RawhideKid
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoccia
    Ouch. $200 per linear foot is a bit much....

but I like that at least someone has done this...Thanks!

Found this concept of a glass pool fence: http://www.dutoit-protect.com/en/produc ... lass-fence
    The cost to ship would make it outrageously expensive...
    Hi. That looks similar to what we use in Australia.

One issue is that these panels are 4 foot high and not the five foot.

I used about 30 foot of glass fence between the pool and the house and another 200 foot of much cheaper aluminum fencing on the remaining sides. All up I spent 14K on fencing. The glass is expensive but does provide an uninterrupted view of the pool. An added bonus of the glass is that it cuts down on the noise from the pool area.
    22K 18x36 in ground concrete pool. Intelliflo VF, Hayward cartridge filter, Zodiac Tri salt chlorinator with pH control, Rola Chem oRP chlorine dosing. Polaris power stream and deck jets with separate Intelliflo VS. Heattseeker solar heating. Jandy Aqualink.

think I found a local dealer that does glass pool fences: http://www.truviewfencing.com/default.html

Just out of curiosity (kills the cat), I think I'll see what the cost might be....

Agree about likely yellowing of plexiglass. Not sure how it would get scratched, but I suppose that is inevitable. I worry about the glass getting dirty, but I still think it would be more visually appealing than anything else.
    RawhideKid

Trueview seems to be a great option. Keep us updated.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    Trueview seems to be a great option. Keep us updated.
    Tried to email them from their site - got error. Tried to call both numbers on their site. No answer and strange vm on other. Not going with these guys.

I'll do a bit more research, but I reviewed some of the photo galleries of the mesh type, and it's amazing how well you can see through them. I'll keep investigating some options here.
    RawhideKid

Here's one from last year:

new-pool-on-the-way-t13325-40.html
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden