Arizona Pool Builders - Recommendations?

Scott,
Thanks for the recomendation.
Shaftya, I love that. Boy do I have stories.
Presidential is cheap, and builds cheap. Company is always for sale, owner sold it for a bunch of money and then bought it back for a little money. He keeps the sales up by building pools for nothing, and beats up all of his subs, who are of course cutting every corner they can.
I watched them put in travertine pavers. They put a little 1/4 minus granite under the pavers and laid the pavers over it.
First big rain we had, they all moved. They pulled them up and did it again, the same. Sad
Cheap is cheap, or is it.

Hi all - Pool is almost complete. Wish it was done given the upcoming 100 degree temps, but it is close. Can't figure out how to post a photo on this site, but it is a beautiful thing so far. Frustrating it isn't done yet - sorta like the Christmas present under the tree - can't wait to open it and jump in! 41,000 gallons, grotto, sunken bar/ramada, fireplace, fancy spa...it is our dream pool, and it's almost complete. Went with Boulder Creek Pools - smaller builder - a "cost plus model" but seems fairly solid so far. Some frustrating events but I have nothing to compare them to.

If anyone knows of a good company that puts in mister systems, let me know. I'll have to do some research, because the current guy has been slow to respond.

We are wrapping up a build (city final inspection today, maybe)

Before we decided on a builder, we looked at Tribal Waters, California Pools, Shasta, and Presidential.

* We immediately eliminated Shasta due to price.
* Calif Pools seemed too low - made me uncomfortable where they cut corners to arrive at the price (over $10K less than Shasta!)
* We liked what Tribal was offering, but I could never get the sales jock to answer emails/questions. Finally cc'd the sales manager. Seemed better for a few days, then back to the same situation - he never answered emails. I figured if they were this absent on THIS side of the project, I knew what life was going to be like on the OTHER side of the project - after the got some money!
* Ended up selecting Presidential. So far, so good. They've addressed everything we brought up in the course of the build. There were a few details that I brought up to them where the work appeared to be done by amatures, or where someone was just lazy - note: they have resolved everything I brought up. kudos to them for that.

I will offer one observation - the law allows them to start with $1000. Then upon completion of the excavation, $ 30% payment is required, $ 30% upon completion of shotcrete, $ 30% upon completing the decking. Final payment due at final city inspection, THEN they surface the interior and startup.

The build schedule for the first 3 payments flew by. They were over 1 week ahead of projected schedule by the 3rd payment. It seems after they had over 90% of the money, things slowed down ... WAY down! We're now looking at being close to one week behind! Final inspection was to have been done 5 days ago - inspection MIGHT be done today.

I don't know if this is typical umong other builders, but it has been a bit disappointing to be so far ahead - then just let it slip so far behind.

Well there are better builders in town then the big 3 and the used car salesman. (I will let you figure that out)
Most of them smaller, but better quality.
Pres has many little things they cut corners on that bug me, like a 10" bond beam, over all haven't heard anything horrible.

What did they have left to do after the deck was done,
Should have had inspection,and plastered it.

Just-a-PB said:
What did they have left to do after the deck was done,
Should have had inspection,and plastered it.

Stacked stone on the water feature wall, acrylic lace decking & paint, water line tile, fence (it was really the fencing that had to be done before the city could inspect it)

Filled the pool yesterday (well, actually started the night before), 2 hoses, 18 hours. They'll be back after the weekend for start-up.

Just-a-PB said:
...has many little things they cut corners on that bug me, like a 10" bond beam...

Sorry to re-open an older thread, but would you please elaborate on your 10 inch bond beam comment? Some PB's here specify 1/2 inch rebar on 10 by 10 inch cc, and 1/2 inch rebar on 12 by 12 for box beams. Others specify 3/8 inch rebar on 8 by 8 inch centers.

If I am looking to build a 5 ft deep rectangular pool in clay soil, at least 10 ft away from the foundation, with a 2.5 ft stone veneer retaining wall built on a raised bond beam, what steel configuration am I looking for?

Thanks for any insight.

As a PB in Scottsdale, (I dont go to go to Goodyear, too far to manage), I would stay away from the larger builders, you get a lot more from the right smaller builders, and you dont feel like a number. With any of the large companies once you sign you will never see your salesman again.

I would recommend Tyler with Natural Reflections. His family has been in the pool business since the 70's, his father actually created the first infloor system. They are great people to work with, cheaper then the big guys, great designs. I have never heard a bad thing said about them.
http://www.naturalreflectionspools.com/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.